cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue: Formatting SSAS values (Live connection) line chart

We have a calculated measure in SSAS which is a formatted as a whole number.  The measure is nothing more than summing up the actual values of a profit center. This measure is giving back 0 for a specific cost element in Excel, but in a line chart Power BI we get 1.8 * 10-8 back. This really annoying because it shows a user that there is something around even if it is very very small, but the reality is a zero.  Even if we use the dax formula format we still have the same issue. I saw some similar issues, but no solution was provided. Is there a solution at the moment or a we stuck with with that problem at the moment? Thanks for a reply.

Comments
Microsoft

@doleu

I cannot repro the same issue on my side. Please refer to the screenshot below. There is a SUM measure in my tabular, it shows as 0 properly in the line chart. I'm using the latest Sep 2017 version of PBI Desktop.

Do you have a simple SSAS sample which can be used to repro?

Issue Formatting SSAS values (Live connection) line chart_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Frequent Visitor

I have to apologize to you guys, but the error I pointed out was the wrong one. The issue isn't the line chart, but the data labels.

WithoutDataLabels.png

Line chart interpret my data correctly, but when I decide to use data labels it shows me the real value,

which are very small numbers.WithDataLabels.png

Even if I use the option value decimals to zero it shows me these small numbers. So we said zero decimal values and expected that I will round it up to zero. In general the external consultant and I were expecting that PowerBI uses the same format as in ssas in not the actual value. Perhaps we misunderstood SSAS and PowerBI Desktop,

We use the actual release of september as well.

Best Regards

Dominik

Microsoft

@doleu

The setting of decimal places changes the data label shown to us, but it will not change the actual value.

In your scenario, I think you should use the ROUND function to convert these small numbers to zero.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Frequent Visitor

Hi Herbert

actually that simple solution worked, but I'm sure that I tried it. Nevertheless thanks Herbert for the long respond time.

Best regards,

Dominik