Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue - Cannot download some PBIX files from the service

I'm able to download some PBIX files from the service, but not others. In some cases, I can't even download files I've published myself.

Hi @johntarr

Could you please tell me more details about your report, such as the data source, connection mode, etc.? When you download your report from Power BI service, there are some considerations and limitations that you need to notice for they may restrict your download.

• If your administrator has turned off the ability to download data, this feature won't be visible in the Power BI service.
  • You can download a file in either Reading view or Editing view. You must be at least a Contributor to the workspace that the report is in. If the report is based on a dataset in another workspace, you need to be at least a Contributor to that workspace as well.
  • If you create a report using the Create button in the Power BI service, and it's based on a dataset in another workspace, you can't download it.
  • If you create a report using the Create button in one workspace in the Power BI service and then save it to a different workspace, you can't download it.
  • Reports created in Power BI Desktop must have been published or uploaded to the Power BI service before you can download them.
  • If you create a report in the Power BI service, you have to save it before you can download it.
  • You can't download reports based on datasets that are imported from OneDrive for Business.
  • The report you're downloading must be published or updated after November 23, 2016. Reports published earlier aren't downloadable.
  • You can't download the eight original built-in sample .pbix files from the Power BI service. However, you can download those same .pbix files from the Power BI samples article.
  • Usage metric reports can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  • You can only download the original report. You can't download a copy of a report.
  • You can't download reports created in the Power BI service that are based on a single dataset that is configured for large modelsincremental refresh, or has been modified by using the XMLA endpoint.
  • If you create a Power BI report based on a dataset in one workspace and publish the report to a different workspace, you can't download the report if the dataset is configured for large modelsincremental refresh, or has been modified by using the XMLA endpoint.
  • Downloading a .pbix file after deployment isn't supported as part of the deployment pipeline (ALM).
  • To download the .pbix file, you must be at least a Contributor to the workspace.
  • Datasets with incremental refresh can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  • Datasets enabled for large models can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  • Downloading a .pbix file after deployment isn't supported as part of the deployment pipeline (ALM).
  • Datasets modified by using the XMLA endpoint can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  • Downloading a .pbix file that is larger than 1 GB isn't supported.
  • Datasets with automatic aggregations enabled can't be downloaded to a .pbix file. You must disable automatic aggregations training in the dataset settings and delete the aggregations tables by selecting the checkbox Delete automatic aggregations tables.

For more details, you could refer to Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,                                                    

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @johntarr

Could you please tell me more details about your report, such as the data source, connection mode, etc.? When you download your report from Power BI service, there are some considerations and limitations that you need to notice for they may restrict your download.

• If your administrator has turned off the ability to download data, this feature won't be visible in the Power BI service.
  • You can download a file in either Reading view or Editing view. You must be at least a Contributor to the workspace that the report is in. If the report is based on a dataset in another workspace, you need to be at least a Contributor to that workspace as well.
  • If you create a report using the Create button in the Power BI service, and it's based on a dataset in another workspace, you can't download it.
  • If you create a report using the Create button in one workspace in the Power BI service and then save it to a different workspace, you can't download it.
  • Reports created in Power BI Desktop must have been published or uploaded to the Power BI service before you can download them.
  • If you create a report in the Power BI service, you have to save it before you can download it.
  • You can't download reports based on datasets that are imported from OneDrive for Business.
  • The report you're downloading must be published or updated after November 23, 2016. Reports published earlier aren't downloadable.
  • You can't download the eight original built-in sample .pbix files from the Power BI service. However, you can download those same .pbix files from the Power BI samples article.
  • Usage metric reports can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  • You can only download the original report. You can't download a copy of a report.
  • You can't download reports created in the Power BI service that are based on a single dataset that is configured for large modelsincremental refresh, or has been modified by using the XMLA endpoint.
  • If you create a Power BI report based on a dataset in one workspace and publish the report to a different workspace, you can't download the report if the dataset is configured for large modelsincremental refresh, or has been modified by using the XMLA endpoint.
  • To download the .pbix file, you must be at least a Contributor to the workspace.
  • Datasets with incremental refresh can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  • Datasets enabled for large models can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  • Datasets modified by using the XMLA endpoint can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  • Downloading a .pbix file that is larger than 1 GB isn't supported.
  • Datasets with automatic aggregations enabled can't be downloaded to a .pbix file. You must disable automatic aggregations training in the dataset settings and delete the aggregations tables by selecting the checkbox Delete automatic aggregations tables.

For more details, you could refer to Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,                                                    

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

johntarr

I just created a brand new report for our diagnostic purposes.

I used version 2.104.702.0 64-bit (April 2022) of the desktop app to create it.

It connected to one Snowflake data source using direct query.

I published it to my own personal workspace.

I received the below error when trying to download the report:

Activity ID: 00011dd4-37e2-49eb-94de-6985e77354ac
Request ID: 4df21560-51bc-2c34-951b-90f8cf7e1459
Correlation ID: 501ece13-49a0-58a4-b446-02c88afac2ab
Status code: 0
Time: Thu Aug 04 2022 11:33:11 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Service version: 13.0.18756.45
Client version: 2207.4.12439-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-us-east2-b-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@johntarr ,

The error is too general and it's hard to locate the cause of it. But you could troubleshoot with the official docuemnt mentioned in earlier post. Basically, it lists all the possible reason that why you could download a report. 

Best Regards,                                                    

Wic_cz