Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Invoked Custom Function not working on shared data model

I have a data model on the Power BI desktop application that has an invoked custom function within it. The custom function is entered as seen below:

CRamirez_0-1621954732480.png

The 'udf_ConvertCAD_Goals' function expects the following:

CRamirez_1-1621955237910.png

The 'year1' column that is being entered into the function looks like this:

CRamirez_2-1621958328386.png

(the year values continue on to 2021)

When I test this on the data model this results in the data looking like below, which is expected:

CRamirez_0-1621958530096.png

However, when I try to make this exact same visual on a separate report connected to this data model, the 'xchange' column is completely blank. I am on the updated data model view, the gateway, and Power BI desktop are all on the most recent update as well. This was working completely fine about 2 weeks ago and I'm not entirely sure what I can do differently to fix this.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I have tested on my side, it works well.

I just use this simple way to create a simple pbix file, then publish to power bi service.

Now open a new power desktop and connect to this dataset, it works well.

Please check if this column has value in power bi service report, and also have a refresh dataset.

if still have the problem, please share your sample pbix file for us have a test.

Regards,

Lin

CRamirez
Advocate II

@v-lili6-msft ,

Thank you for your response, I went to the link you provided and that is exactly the same way I am creating this function.

I dug a little more into this as I was trying to come up with a sample data model and what I've found is that the custom function works great among shared data models until I connect it to the on-premise gateway. What could potentially be the cause of that? I see that all of my data sources are successfully connecting, and the credentials on those sources are fine, but the data still isn't appearing?

I don't think a sample pbix file will help in this case because you wouldn't be able to connect to our organization's on-premise gateway. Could this be due to a recent update?

Thanks again.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

i use my on-premise sql database as datasource and then use Invoked Custom Function create a custom column, publish to power bi service and set on-premise gateway refresh the dataset.

Now use power bi desktop connect to it, it works well.

by the way, my on-premise gateway is 2020 Nov version. If you could use Previous monthly version to have  a test.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-monthly-updates

Regards,

Lin

CRamirez
Advocate II

@v-lili6-msft ,

Should I just open a ticket directly with Microsoft support as this is not working for me and it doesn't seem like I am doing anything incorrectly on my side

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

if so, just open a ticket directly to get further help from Microsoft support team.

Regards,

Lin