Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Invalid Credentials - cannot refresh dataset in the service

Previously there was a message on the Microsoft Support Page that it is a known issue, but now it shows "No known issues..."

But I still cannot update my dataset Smiley Sad

I have 8 OData API connections and 6 Web connections to OneDrive for Business Excel Files

First - it shows error "Can't refresh your data: The credentials you provided for the Data Source are invalid".

When I go to settings and enter the credentials in 3 places with "X" error mark next to them - it accepts them (I don't know why it shows this error in the first place).

Then - I press on Refresh now - and after showing "Prepare for refresh" for several seconds - nothing happens. I don't even see the "working circle" next to my dataset.

I just have to update in Destop and republish

Please help...

Please

Thank you

Michael

Comments
uhlig
Frequent Visitor

Are your ODATA Connections to Project Online? 

This issue exists since end of November 2016. Most already existing reports work. All new published reports show this issue with 3 ODATA sources instead of one and the "fail toupdate credentials". 

This was also already reprduced in the internal PowerBI and Project Online Testtenant, at least at the German Power BI Support. 

Its beyond my understanding why such an issue which impacts ALL ProjectOnline User which use PowerBI needs so long to fix and why this major issue is not listed on the support side as known issue with daily updates what the status is

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, my data sources are not Project Online, just some other API's.

direct_channect
Regular Visitor

I am seeing the same issue as well, and it is quite maddening!

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

I just tried to get data with OData API connection, I can refresh it properly in Power BI Service after I enter the credential.

Can you see the refresh status in refresh history?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @v-haibl-msft

Refresh history was blank since I couldn't make it refresh.

But I've tried to schedule refresh and it worked!

But still, the manual refresh doesn't work.

After I press "Refresh Now" - it says "preparing refresh" and then - nothing.

Not even the "in progress circle" next to the dataset name.

Just nothing happens 😞

Please help

Thank you

Michael

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

When you press “Refresh Now”, are the excel files being used? Could you please try to republish the same data sources to PBI Service to see if the issue persists?

Best Regards,

Herbert

PeterRushbrook
Regular Visitor

I'm having the same problem.

Trying to refresh from SalesForce. I enter in valid credentials and I get a message telling me that Failed to update data source credentials.

squirino
Frequent Visitor

Still unable to refresh SharePoint Online Data

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-haibl-msft

Yes Herbert, the Refresh is working now!

Thank you very much!

Please build a mechanism that ensures the refresh worked - and if it didn't then it should try again until it succeeds.

Very hard to rely on the dashboard info if you r not sure that the refresh is working

Thanks a lot!

Michael