Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Internet Explorer and Edge crash on a report with a specific type of chart

IE and Edge seems to crash when viewing a report witch specific type of chart. Problem occurs at least in this configuration: Windows 10 ver. 1703 64bit, IE 11.1088.15063.0, Edge  40.15063.674.0, Power BI Desktop 2.59.5135.421 64-bit

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a new Power BI report with Power BI Desktop.
2. Get data from somewhere or enter data manually (you should have at least 2 columns, a category-field and a number-field, a few rows is enough). Data itself doesn't seem to matter (where it comes from, etc) in order to reproduce the problem.
3. Add Line and Clustered Column Chart to the report
4. Add the Category-field as shared axis and the number-field as the line
5. Make sure the settings for the line are as follows: https://imgur.com/a/pBTbSMY

(Format -> Shapes -> Stroke Width:4, Join Type:Bevel, Line Style: Solid, Show markers: On, Marker style: circle, Marker size: 6)

7. The graph should look something like this: https://imgur.com/mhK77j8
6. Save the file and publish it to PowerBI.com
7. Open up Internet Explorer or Edge and browse to PowerBI.com
8. Login and view the published report

What happens:
The browser starts to load the report but after a few seconds it crashes to an unknown cause

What should happen:
The report should load normally to be viewable and clickable

I think the problem is related to the markers on the line graph. The line seems to be missing the markers when the browser crashes. After a few crashes, the browser somehow is able to load the report and everything is working fine. If I clear the cache of the browser and restart it, the problem comes back.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @SoltV,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue following your steps. Please update your Edge and IE to the latest version as ours then test again. 

e1.PNGe2.PNG

Also you could test with our report on your side to see if the same issue occurs. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

SoltV
Advocate I

I was able to reproduce the problem with the report you made.

I'll get back to this when I get my browsers up to date and I have the time to test again.

Hind26
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I had quite the same problem yesterday in Line and clustered column chart in IE 11 but not in google Chrome, i still don't know the reason behind it, but i recreate the chart from scratch and it worked.

Capture Error.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am also experiencing the same issue, many of the reports are crashing while viewing on Power BI service through IE though they work fine on chrome.

IE version.png

Regards,

Dan

SoltV
Advocate I

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

I was still able to reproduce the problem in Internet Explorer, Edge seems to be fine after the updates.

This is the latest version i was able to update to (my organization might be blocking some of the most latest updates):

ie_version.PNG

Here is the pbix-file I used to test the problem. Apparently IE keeps crashing a few times more, if the chart contains some bars as well.

acbg
Resolver III

I am having the same issue, some reports have issues with IE and others have issue on Chrome. Firefox seems to be the only one that has not had any issues yet. Not sure for how long that will last though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also having the same issue with IE. Chrome seems to work just fine. It appears to happen on tabs with line charts. Here is the version of IE that I'm running:

2018-06-26_11-08-48.jpg

aga412

Not sure if this is the end-all be-all solution, but it is definitely something Micrsoft needs to fix. What size markers are you using? When I either removed the markers from my charts or took them down to the smallest size (5pt) that seemed to fix the crashing.

SoltV
Advocate I

Hi @aga412

I used 6pt marker size. You're right, other size-settings seems to fix the issue, which I think is a bit funny because 6pt might be the default...