Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Initialization error when refreshing Excel with Analyze in Excel

Hello,

Users are experiening the attached error(s) intermittently when refreshing a Power BI data source from an Excel 2016 workbook using the latest version of Analyze in Excel. The workaround is to open Excel once using 'Run As Admin', but the problem resurfaces which requires the same workaround step.

Any ideas regarding the root cause would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

refresh_error.PNG

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

I saw the issue reported internally:

Please date the ODC file on the disk, open it with Notepad, search for the string MSOLAP.7 and remove the dot and the 7 (MSOLAP.7 => MSOLAP)

When the change is done into the ODC file, just double click in it to lunch Excel. 

Please let me know if this works. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Here is an update: 

User complain: Excel message - "Initialization of the data source failed"

TSG_-_Analyze_in_Excel-2.png

Mitigation:

1. Verify excel version - 32 or 64.
    Go Excel -> Files -> Account -> About Excel.

TSG_-_Analyze_in_Excel-3.png

2. Install latest SQL 2016 MSOLAP - 3 options

1. In PowerBI portal - choose Analyze in Excel updates (this install msolap x32 version)

TSG_-_Analyze_in_Excel-4.png

2. choose Analyze in Excel

TSG_-_Analyze_in_Excel-5.jpg

1. Choose the relevant link to install msolap update

TSG_-_Analyze_in_Excel-6.png

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

gh_de
Frequent Visitor

Seems to work with the newest update available in the web interface ("Analyze in Excel Updates"). I needed to uninstall old OLE DB.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @gh_de,

Uninstalling the MSOLAP driver and reinstalling it worked for our user as well this time.  However, I didn't notice a change in the version (14.0.1000.397).  Hence, it's still a mystery why this error error corrected itself.

Hoping to get more information regarding the debugging step to identify if the driver is out-of-sync with the ODC file from Microsoft.

Thanks,

Ben

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

I have updated the images in previous post. Please try again follow above steps. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thank you for the screencaps, however, I was referring to the steps to validate the ODC file vs. the MSOLAP driver.  Since this is an intermittent issue it would be helpful to know why and when they are out-of-sync.

Thanks,

Ben