Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Infinte authentication loop in ssms when connecting to xmla endpoint

I am trying to connect to an xmla endpoint in a premium capacity from SQL Server Management Studio.  When I connect I select authentication 'Azure Active Directory - Universal with MFA'

jmsavagetcc_0-1652250365051.png

Then I have the authentication window pop up asking me to pick an account.  I select my account, click next and the same window just pop's up again.  That sends me into an infinite loop and I can't connect to the xmla endpoint.  I've had this happen in Power BI Desktop and so I tried the same workaround - select 'Use another account' > 'sign-in options' > 'Sign-in to an organisation', then enter my organisation domain, select 'use another account', enter my email address and then enter my password. So that's all good, but then I expand the databases and I get the sign-in window pops up again and have to follow the exact same workaround again.  Great, then I can see my datasets, expand the one I want and the sign-in window pops up yet again.  Every action I get prompted to sign-in again and it's making it nigh on impossible to use.  I did get one of my colleagues to try connecting to the xmla endpoint - he only gets one sign-in window with the initial connection and he's good to go, he doesn't get prompted to sign-in again with each action.  So the issue does not appear to be widespread.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem, please?  I need to use ssms so I can view and manage my incremental refresh dataset.  Thanks in advance 🙂

Hi @jmsavagetcc 

Thanks for your reply .I will change the status to "Delivered" so that other users with the same issue can be solved through your reply .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
jmsavagetcc
Frequent Visitor

I have SSMS v18.11.1 installed if that helps

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @jmsavagetcc 

Does he also connect to the xmla endpoint with the same authentication method ? Have you compared the difference between your two accounts ?

Best Regards,

jmsavagetcc
Frequent Visitor

We got to the bottom of it.  Our email addresses can take two forms - an abbreviation or full name. So the answer was just to use the abbreviated name in the username and not the full name.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @jmsavagetcc 

Thanks for your reply .I will change the status to "Delivered" so that other users with the same issue can be solved through your reply .

Best Regards,