Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Incorrect Gateway Datasource Lineage for Dataflow Datasources in Service and using REST API

We have several gatways. I've recently installed a new cluster and in the process of transitioning datasets and dataflows to the new cluster to eventually remove the old gateway.

I have several issues with the way Power BI reports gateway data source usage:

1. Viewing lineage in the Power BI service does not report use of the correct gateway. The gateway datasource shown for the dataflow does not belong to the gateway listed.
  2. Calling the REST API Dataflows - Get Dataflow Data Sources - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs does not return the correct results, in fact, many times returns every gateway datasource that could possibly be used, i.e same SQL server and DB for multiple gateways instead of listing the one currently selected.

This makes maangement of the service as it relates to gatways usage nearly impossible. I have many example of where this occurs. Can we please fix this!

Hi @m-colbert,

For the first issue, please try this solution: Add the data source used by the dataset/dataflow into the new gateway in Manage Gateways page, and then map the data source in the dataset/dataflow to the registered data source in Settings page. After mapping, please go to the Lineage and do some page refresh operations.

vcazhengmsft_0-1655796756866.png

For the second issue, I’ve tested on this API. It works well. When you are running this API, please make sure you provide proper parameters and proper token.

vcazhengmsft_1-1655796756868.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @m-colbert,

For the first issue, please try this solution: Add the data source used by the dataset/dataflow into the new gateway in Manage Gateways page, and then map the data source in the dataset/dataflow to the registered data source in Settings page. After mapping, please go to the Lineage and do some page refresh operations.

vcazhengmsft_0-1655796756866.png

For the second issue, I’ve tested on this API. It works well. When you are running this API, please make sure you provide proper parameters and proper token.

vcazhengmsft_1-1655796756868.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

m-colbert
Resolver II

The API does not work. If you have multiple gateways, with the same datasource defined, it will retrun all of them, not the one that's selected to use during refreshes.  I've opened a ticket for this and will report back my findings.

Thanks

AAAA
Frequent Visitor

Hi @m-colbert 

Did you ever get an answer on this? I am having the same issue.

Thank you

Miguel