Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Inaccurate Usage Metrics

I have run into a scenario where the Report Usage metrics are completely missing peoples' views activity long past the expected 24-hour data refresh period.  I started to suspect an issue during a new workspace/app rollout, when I watched a user navigate to and view the report, but never even saw their name appear in the out-of-the-box usage metrics even days later.

For the given report, here is what I see in the out-of-the-box reporting (pulled via PBI Desktop to purposefully exclude the most recent date, since I would expect differences there):  PBI Report Usage Dashboard.

However, if I download Power BI "viewed" records from the O365 Unified Audit Log, here is what it shows for that same report (filtered to the exact same date range, workspace, and report):  Unified Audit Log Viewed Reports.

The additional people and views shown in the O365 Audit Log are much more in line with what I expected based on the trainings I have held and other communications with my users.

This makes me very concerned over why the Power BI Service report is so vastly different from what I am seeing in the Audit Log.  I might expect some swings of numbers here and there based on potential differences in filters, refreshes, etc. between the two sources but this is a bit too much of a difference.  I am a Power BI Service Administrator in O365, I am administrator over the workspace in question, and the report is not being viewed by way of any embed codes or external application.  The missing users in question are either Workspace Members or have access to the report via a Power BI App, so all people are viewing the content from "within" the Power BI services (be it web or mobile).

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @megmation,

I have found a same issue reported internally: CRI 66932665. Please run Fiddler with below option enabled, then repeat steps to view report usage and audit log, share .saz file with us. 

Fiddler.PNG

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

megmation
Regular Visitor

Here is the SAZ...

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @megmation,

Thanks for your sharing. I have share this trace internally, will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

megmation
Regular Visitor

It has been a couple of months, now.  @v-qiuyu-msft or @Vicky_Song, is there any update on this issue?

BoymeetsData
Regular Visitor
Hello @v-qoiui-msft, @megmation, Can you advise if this issue was ever solved? Today August 29 i have the same issue. We ran tests and conducted interviews within the organiazation and found that the usage (views) metrics did not align with peoples usage. I am not an admin and likely will not receive the permissions to access the audit logs of the organization. Would like to know when the usage metrics issue is fixed, or can you tell me what is causing missing views for many but not all people in the company. The company uses mobile and web to access. thank you
megmation
Regular Visitor

@BoymeetsData, this thread was the only area where I had gotten any sort of acknowledgement from Microsoft that they were trying to look into the issue.  The fact that neither you or I can get them to respond means it seems like this thread is dead.  I will say, we found one thing which could sometimes help remedy the problem.  The Usage Report that they auto-generate in Power BI is attached to a report GUID.  If you have done something which may have changed the report GUID it will definitely mess with your report usage metrics.  Instead, try saving a custom copy of the usage report and swap the GUID filter for the Display Name instead to view combined metrics across both versions of the report.