Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

In PBI desktop I cannot change name of table column that was used in link to another summary table

Trying to update the name of a column in a data table produces a "reproducible" error.  This is when I have previoulsy used this column to link the original data table to a derived summarised table:

DomPerthyn_0-1662108962497.png

The work around seems to be to remove the relationship, rename the data column and relink.  However if I try and rename the data table itself no error is shown and I get an error that crashes the Desktop (it is not responsive to other commands)

Hi @Dom-Perthyn ,

This is by design, in which case you have to manually modify and reapply.

If you would like to suggest  feature improvements, you may  vote the idea and comment here  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Dom-Perthyn ,

This is by design, in which case you have to manually modify and reapply.

If you would like to suggest  feature improvements, you may  vote the idea and comment here  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Dom-Perthyn
Advocate I

The trapped error on renaming the column I assumed was a known issue,  but it would be better to have a fuller explaination in the error box rather than specify the column as deleted, i.e. to say the column cannot be renamed as it is linked to another table. 

I note you did not answer the full issue with the cashing of the BI product when the table is renamed.  This has not been trapped and perhaps it should be for stability.   Unfortunately I did not realise it until it also aftected the autosaved copy, meaning I actually lost a couple of hours of work, and for riobustness I have got three development copies running for just one report.