Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ISSUE - Dataset suddenly stopped working on composite model

I have a report called "ABC Dashboard" which works perfectly and the data is refreshed on a daily basis. I also have other reports with Direct Query to this dataset and used to work properly.

Few weeks back, those reports (with DQ to dataset ABC) stopped working suddenly (the parts that contains data from this dataset).

By chance, I had this same dataset in another project (another workspace -- import mode) which is also being refreshed daily, and when I changed the data source for those affected reports to this same dataset but in another workspace, those reports started to work properly with no issues. (I am the admin for all of these reports/workspaces -- pro license)

I ran below test:

In a new pbix file, when I make live connection to ABC dataset, it works just fine. But once I try to add a local model to the same file (composite model), I get below error about dataset "ABC" that "Either the database 'ABC Dashboard' does not exist, or your do no have permissions to access it...'. I have done the same thing before this issue happens with this dataset multiple times with no issues.

ABC error.PNG

I've been receiving this error in past few weeks and haven't been able to find a workaround. I'm using the latest version:

Version: 2.111.590.0 64-bit (November 2022)

I also sent the error through the Power BI desktop to Microsoft, but still nothing back from MS.

Thank you

Hi @madishn 

Did this problem happen after you used the November Desktop? Was it normal before?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @madishn 

Did this problem happen after you used the November Desktop? Was it normal before?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

madishn
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft , it was completely normal, we have never had such issue at all. the first time this issue pops up was in the morning of November 3, 2022 and it has not been resolved since then

madishn
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft  I'm still receiving this error, is there any updates from Microsoft on this issue?

PeterBlatchley
Helper I

I have the same problem with the same error. I had a composite model build from two power bi datasets. When viewing the reports in the Power Bi Service I get a "Can't display the visual. See details" error. The details say "Couldn't retreieve data for this visual, Please try again later." 

When I edit the in Power BI Destop. I get this error on the visuals "Couldn't Load the data for this visual" See screenshot.

PeterBlatchley_0-1675179241293.png