Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IE11 crash and print issues

Discovered PowerBI Service has few critical issues with IE11 which is the browser our business rely on.

1. When you are trying to print a visual in Focus Mode(or Show Data), the report page content will show up as an overlay and messed with the focused visual. This issue makes the print completely unreadable. (The issue doesn't exist in Chrome)

11-12-2018 2-41-17 PM.png

2. IE11 randomly crashes when using the report. Not able to trace down if it is related to Javascript or not. IE just crashes directly instead of pop up any error in the developer tools. (The issue doesn't exist in Chrome)

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Yuran,

1. I have reported this issue internally: CRI 91852235. Will update here once I get any information. 

2. Does the issue happen to some specific report or all reports? Would you please share a sample pbix for us to test it? Also please run the latest IE 11 version. 

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Yuran
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thanks for the fast response and reported #1 issue immediately. Robot wink Do you have an estimate on when you usually will get an initial feedback from PowerBI team?

Regarding #2 issue, I did some futher testing and noticed it may related to the PowerBI certified custom visual "Card with States by OKViz".

11-13-2018 11-25-38 AM.png

We are running latest IE11 for windows 7

11-13-2018 9-24-55 AM.png

You could replicate this issue by:

1. Downloading the blog demo report from here:

https://github.com/Microsoft/powerbi-desktop-samples/blob/master/2018/2018SU10%20Blog%20Demo%20-%20O...

2. Replacing the cards on top of the page by "Card with States by OKViz":

11-13-2018 11-26-57 AM.png

3. Pining these cards to a dashboard.

4. Opening the dashboard. You will see the content load up slowly.

5. Click one visual on the dashboard to get into the report. Navigate back to the dashboard and repeat the process again and again (step 5). Until you see the following visual failures or even an IE crash.

11-13-2018 11-30-29 AM.png

I wish, when certifying a custom visual, the PowerBI team could test it in IE11 as well. I don't expect all certified custom visuals should compatible with IE11. but at least all these "chrome only" visuals should have a note "This visual does not support IE".

Thanks,

Yuran

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Yuran,

1. It depends on the workload on PG team, will keep you updated once I get any information. Smiley Happy

2. As the issue related to Card with States by OKViz custom visual, please contact the author of this custom visual for help: https://okviz.com/support/. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Yuran,

I got below information regarding the first issue: 

found the root cause - default print settings in IE does not print the background colors and images - hence making the foreground layer transparent and displays the background reports too. Solution - check “Print Background Colors and Images” in print settings. However in Edge we do not have these settings so we need to click the ellipses (...) ->  More tools --> Open in IE. But however in Power BI if we click on file --> Print --> we do not give the end users the settings to select this. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Yuran
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft

Thanks a lot. It solve my issue