Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

I now have two versions of PBI

Comments
Jörn

I had not used PBI for a while. As I recall, PBI Desktop used to inform me that there is a newer version that I can download. Yesterday, this prompt did not appear, so I checked the web for a download. Found one but this pointed me to the windows store. I downloaded the current version from there and it works.

But: I still also have the previous version, so I have two versions installed. They even have different icons. The Windows list of apps only shows me the version that I installed yesterday. Also, I am not able to find out where the new version was installed. Rightclicking and "Open folder" (Sorry - I have German version, may be different in English) works with the old version but not the new one.

There are definitely two different versions active now - I used them both and already noticed a problem in the new version that is not in the old version (I'll make a different post for that).

Could please anybody tell me what is going on here?

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @Jörn 

You can get Power BI Desktop in two ways, each of which is described in the following sections:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-get-the-desktop

there is no blog or document about this for now, and about a week ago, MS a minor update for the Android, Windows 10, and iOS apps that added a new, and long overdue, app icon. 

With the exception of the new icon, the app updates themselves were quite small and contained only the usual bug fixes on Windows 10 and Android.

I used them both and already noticed a problem in the new version that is not in the old version

you may try to use the old one until the next update.

Regards,

Lin