Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

How to change datamart ownership?

Hello,

For the past week or two my coworkers and I have been trying to add another table to a datamart our boss set up as a test. We're hoping to use this exciting new feature as a replacement for some old in-house data warehousing solutions. However, for that to work we need to have multiple people be able to make changes to centralized datamarts as they see fit to enable report creation. Currently this seems impossible though because everytime I try to make a change to our test data mart I receive a similar error message to this:

TrevDMay_0-1656357514289.png

And I see no way around this because I've looked in all the settings pages available through the UI for the datamart and there is no where to take over ownership of the datamart like there is for a dataset.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi @Anonymous,

Currently, there is no feature to take ownership like Datasets in Power BI. To edit the Datamarts, you need to be the owner of it. And there is a method that can give you and your colleague Ownership: both of you need to be the Admin of the Datamarts workspace. After that, both of you can edit the Datamarts.

vcazhengmsft_0-1656383921280.png

To improve the cooperation, I would suggest you voting for a similar ideas as well.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=ad2cd885-69e6-ec11-b5cf-501ac5248c97

If you would like to create reports based on the Datamarts, Share feature can fulfill the needs.  Sharing a datamart with recipients allows them to build content based on the underlying dataset and query the corresponding SQL endpoint.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Anonymous,

Currently, there is no feature to take ownership like Datasets in Power BI. To edit the Datamarts, you need to be the owner of it. And there is a method that can give you and your colleague Ownership: both of you need to be the Admin of the Datamarts workspace. After that, both of you can edit the Datamarts.

vcazhengmsft_0-1656383921280.png

To improve the cooperation, I would suggest you voting for a similar ideas as well.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=ad2cd885-69e6-ec11-b5cf-501ac5248c97

If you would like to create reports based on the Datamarts, Share feature can fulfill the needs.  Sharing a datamart with recipients allows them to build content based on the underlying dataset and query the corresponding SQL endpoint.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Anonymous
Not applicable

My coworker and I both belong to an AD group that is listed as an admin for the workspace already. I also just tried giving myself named permissions and still get the 'This action cannot be performed by someone other than the dataflow owner.' error.

loweg
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem. We are in an AD Group as Admin and we are in there individually as admins. Still no luck for a person who did not create the datamart to add another table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I confirm there is no solution yet for creating new table in a Datamart except the first Datamart creator, even with Worskpace admin rights. One Power BI idea page, tells the "take the ownership" of Datamart is planned,  to be released in 20022 wave 2.It is not a solution to team work, but could be unblocking the predecament when then Datamart owner left the company and the Datamart becomes frozen to its original tables.

I suggest to vote for the folowwing  idea in the Power BI idea page :

DataMart Administration to be Available by a Team 

ideaid=ad2cd885-69e6-ec11-b5cf-501ac5248c97