Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Horizontal slicer listing alphabetical tiles vertically

I am brand new to Power BI, so please direct me to the correct thread if it exists for this problem - I could not find it in existing threads based on keywords: 

I am creating a dashboard using a horizontal slicer with a particular category (only because it creates responsive tiles (effectively buttons) that highlight a particular client (alphabetically). 

Since there is a large number of options, expanding the slicer vertically to fill empty space and show most amount of options without scrolling seems to make the most sense. However, when expanding the horizontal slicer, the alphabetizing is shown as: 

A   D  G

B   E   H

C   F   I

(screenshot from in-progress dashboard)

jprovo227_0-1635450152554.png

instead, I'd like it to show the alphabetizing horizontally (which is how I thought it would display):

A   B   C

D   E   F

G   H   I

Any suggestions?

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on test, Desktop will display slicer vaules from up to down and from left to right according to  character order when you set Orientation to Horizontal.  So values in slicer will be listed as follows and there isn't an option to directly modify its order.

vcazhengmsft_1-1635476955870.png

There is a workaroud you may take. Add a column to specify the order of every value as you want. Then sort your slicer values by this new column. After that, recreate slicer.

vcazhengmsft_2-1635479565075.png

Then slicer will look like this:

vcazhengmsft_3-1635479633658.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on test, Desktop will display slicer vaules from up to down and from left to right according to  character order when you set Orientation to Horizontal.  So values in slicer will be listed as follows and there isn't an option to directly modify its order.

vcazhengmsft_1-1635476955870.png

There is a workaroud you may take. Add a column to specify the order of every value as you want. Then sort your slicer values by this new column. After that, recreate slicer.

vcazhengmsft_2-1635479565075.png

Then slicer will look like this:

vcazhengmsft_3-1635479633658.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much @v-cazheng-msft  😄

I will evaluate your workaround as an option for me. I really appreciate the insight!