Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Hierarchy blanks issue

When the hierarchy does not expand equally on all levels, it creates blanks. This is not the case with Excel or Tableau using the same data source (SSAS cube, live connection).  It makes Power BI unusable for users with hierarchies in their cubes. 

This is what it looks like without drilling-down/expanding the hierarchy. Everything is fine.

Starting positionStarting position

Here is where the problem is at, the hierarchy shows blanks because not all levels expanded to the same depth, it created blanks for those that do not go as deep.

blank1_expand.PNG

The filter also shows these blanks, which makes it unusable in a professional environment.

FilterFilter

This is with the drilling down option instead of expanding, the yellow highlighted parts show the problematic parts compared to the same table in Excel, which implements the hierarchy correctly. 

blank3_drilldown.PNG

This what the same hierarchy looks like in Excel. Everything works fine.

ExcelExcel

This what the same hierarchy looks like in Tableau. Everything works fine.

TableauTableau

Is there any fix for it to behave like Excel or Tableau? 

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@tannera

I do not have such hierarchy in my SSAS cube. Could you please help provide a simple sample table which can be used to deploy the tabular solution and repro this issue?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

tannera
Advocate II

It turns out it isn't a simple hierarchy, but a recursive parent child one. Does Power BI support these? Excel and Tableau aparently do.   

tannera
Advocate II

I've sent through PM (since file attachments are not supported directly in these forums) a minimal cube with  a replication of the problem.

I will update on any updates on this issue. 

tannera
Advocate II

Any update on this? This problem is still present in the latest August release of Power BI. 

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@tannera

I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 45701536
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@tannera

I’ve got response from the Product Team.

Currently this is not supported in the product. Please vote on the ideas site. https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/14511612-ragged-or-parent-child-h...

Best Regards,
Herbert

kemmerrc
Helper I

Is there a resolution to hierarchy issues with blanks. I have organizational levels from 1-12. Obviously, not all our groups go to a level 12. As stated in this chain, the hierarchy dropdown is useless. Is there a way to make it ignore blanks?