Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Hide and Lock Filter on Mobile - current function does not work on mobile

We are using the new Filter Feature. On Power BI Desktop will have a report filter set to International. We have the report filter locked and set to not show. We want our report tabs to automatically be filter by this value and want to prevent users from changing the International filter. When we publish to Workspace, the International filter work as expected. The filter is hidden and locked on International. The user can use the other filters.

However, when the same report is viewd on an Iphone or an Android phone, the hidden and locked filter is available. Users can change and see the hidden and locked filter. The report filter do not behave the same on the phone as it does online.

Capture.PNG

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

I am unable to reproduce your issue on my side. I am using Power BI Desktop December release (2.65.5313.621), set hide and locked report filter as you describe and set phone layout in the PBIX file.

When I view the Power BI report in IPhone 6, it is not possible to change and see the hidden and locked filter in Power BI IOS APP(17.1 version). What is the version of your Power BI Desktop and Power BI IOS app?

In addition, I got response from PG:
"As for phones the new filter pane is never available. There is a phone optimized filter menu available through the footer actions and only in phone optimized portrait orientation reports. It is currently not available in landscape orientation reports. This phone filter menu is not related to the new filter pane and has a phone unique layout. The new filter pane is not available on phones and we currently do not have any plans to add it."

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using version13.0.7611.215 PowerBI Desktop. The desktop filters work as expected. You mentioned "set phone layout in the PBIX file", what does that mean? Do I need to do something to the file before I view it on my phone.

I am using version 112372 from the Google Play Store on my Galaxy S8 android phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me make sure I understand what you expressed. The filter pane shows on the desktop and online. However the filter pane does not display on the phone, which is intended. The phone has its own filter functionalty which is controlled via a portait view of the report.

If I understand correctly, there is functionality issue here. If I build a report with filtering that is hidden and locked, but if a user opens the report on a phone, they can override the report filtering by using the phone filter functionality.

I get that the new filter pane won't be placed on the phone. However, how do I impose hidden and locked filters on a report that is viewed on a phone?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

In Power BI Desktop, you can set phone layout as below.
1.PNG

In addition, I got reponse from PG that new filter pane is not available for phones. It is not possible to view the hidden and locked filters in phones.

Regards,
Lydia

MackFarid

There's two ways to solve this issue:

Number 1 is the easier of the two

1- Create a slicer and for the field you'd like to filter then use the selection pane to hide the slicer.

Power BI Selection Pane.PNGslicer.PNG

2- Filter your data using the Power Query Editor. Then use the DAX filter() function to filter related tables to avoid blank values. here's the microsoft documentation link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/filter-function-dax

Please mark this as solved if you find it usefull.

mlien1

We are having this same issue.  Hidden and locked filters turn out not to be hidden or locked when viewing via mobile report.  Please vote on this issue so we can get this bug fixed!!