Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Guest B2B users see "Your Power BI session expired" after 15m, redirected to home tenant/signup page

Approximately 15 minutes after logging in to access the Power BI apps in our tenant (the inviting tenant), our external/guest B2B users see a "Your Power BI session expired" prompt, and are then redirected away from our Power BI tenant and are unable to navigate back. 

Where the user is redirected varies based on the user licensing scenario (note: all of our external/guest B2B users have a Power BI Pro license directly assigned to them in our tenant):  

1. Users that have a free Power BI license in their home tenant are redirected to their home Power BI tenant site/workspace.

2. Users that DO NOT have a free Power BI license in their home tenant are instead redirected to the Power BI signup page.

Other notes: 1. This seems to be occurring across all browsers. 2. Users are able to re-gain access to our Power BI resources only after signing out and back in, however, their sessions are always limited to 15 minutes. I have confirmed this affects external/guest users of ours from multiple tenants.

Comments
dbarce
Regular Visitor

That's great news!  I've also tested after seeing your post and so far no issues.  I'm having others in the organization also test.

imranthaggard
Regular Visitor

This appears to be resolved based on my tests this morning (aus east)

solka-102
Regular Visitor

the issue appears to be resolved for us according to our users. (EU west)

kaushalprashant
Regular Visitor

Hello, I just came across this thread - this issue started for our external users on 08/12 and is still unresolved - did any of the issue reporters experience it again or if possible could share what MS Support has suggested as action; as our ticket is open since then with "our internal team is looking into it" note. any help is appreciated.

ChrisA
Regular Visitor

@kaushalprashant , the issue was resolved for us back on 8/21. However, I'm frustrated to report that we are again experiencing this issue again. Microsoft support indicated that it was a bug so and thus there wasn't any action suggested for resolution.

I'm going to try to re-open our original ticket and see what happens. 

FWIW, here is what MS Support provided in terms of an explanation of the root case:

I have reviewed this issue and discussed with Product team, as we check that it is known issue, and we have seen few users with the same issue.

Root cause of the issue:  

When looking at the AccessToken before and after the request, it looks like we have a bug when processing the /refresh token request for B2B users where we give them an updated Access Token from the user's home tenant instead of the guest tenant they are currently logged in to. This is causing subsequent requests to the backend to fail since the token is for a tenant that doesn't match the current client session.

For example, in the  token before refresh we see something like this:

{
  "home_oid": "<Home User Guid>",
  "idp": "https://sts.windows.net/<Home Tenant Guid>/”,
  "oid": "<Guest User Guid>",
  "tid": "<Guest Tenant Guid>",

and then after the token refresh we get a new access token with:

{
  "oid": "<Home User Guid>",
  "tid": "<Home Tenant Guid>",

(no home_oid or idp properties since this access token is for the user's home tenant)

So Product team created bug for that issue and fixed it.

kaushalprashant
Regular Visitor

@ChrisA - Appreciate the information. I will pursue our MS Support ticket with these thoughts; and will share any progress. Thanks again.

smitks00
Regular Visitor

We had this issue in August and it seemed to resolve, and it is back again for us too.  Opening a ticket.

dbarce
Regular Visitor

My company is experiencing this issue again today and opened a ticket.  Scheduling to have a remote session with support later today. 

Does anyone know if Microsoft pushed out any updates for PBI that could have caused this issue again?

ChrisA
Regular Visitor

Update: MS Support notified me yesterday that it was a "known issue" that's been resolved which I was able to confirm. Have not received any information about how/why this issue surfaced for the second time in as many months. Hopefully that's the last we see of it. 

kaushalprashant
Regular Visitor

Hello all, its been over 6 months, seems the issue has resurfaced - new users when being added to tenant have started reporting the issue; and it appears to be close match to this - if any suggestions or guidance is available, it will be helpful.