Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Grouping stuck after changes

Hi,

I'm experiencing issues when grouping a large amount of catagorical labels per edit, when using the build in grouping functionality released in the October 2016 release.

When I exceed a given amount of labels grouped in "one go", when finalizing and clicking "Ok" the "Working on it..." will appear, but be stuck. I'm unable to exit the process and the only way to gain control of the program again is by exiting the program completely from windows task manager.

If I instead group a few items at a time, everything works fine, but working like that would significantly increase my work time.

Suggestions to why this happens and how to avoid it, besides being a problem with the desktop client?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

How many labels do you group at the same time? Are you also able to repro it in the latest Sep 2017 version of Power BI Desktop?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-haibl-msft the column I'm grouping has 7.585 distinct values, of which I'm trying to group approximatly 4703 labels.

I've gotten most of the 4703 categorized by doing them a few at a time - tiresome.

From experience the problem seems to appear when I'm making changes to 100 or more labels at a time, and yes, I can reproduce the problem in the Sep 2017 version.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

Not sure if my repro steps are same as yours. Could you please take a look at following recorded video to see if there is any difference between us?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-haibl-msft

The only difference between your video and my process is that my grouping includes 9 seperate groups with the labels roughly evenly distributed between them.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

I've also tried to create 9 separate groups at the same time, every group includes 120 labels. My PBI Desktop will not be stuck.

Maybe you can check the CPU/Memory Usage in Task Manager to see if it is related to machine performance.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I am also experiencing this issue. It is seemingly random. This time I was creating simply a group of 7 labels, and "Working on it" keeps spinning and spinning. Before that, I managed to create three similar smaller or larger groups in the same fashion to the same value without issues.

After forcing Power BI client shutdown from task manager and restarting my computer, I can create the same group fine.

Supposedly then this could be some "performance" issue but in all honestly it shouldn't be. My .pbix file is roughly 200mb, when this happened I was having few gigabytes of RAM left for free, which is more than my whole data source.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-haibl-msft, unfortunatly I haven't had time to investigate the issue futher, as I have other task of higher priorities.

But in my case PBI Desktop is run on a corporate remote desktop, with 24Gb of ram avalible in total, with usually 8Gb avaliable in free memory.

The only problem I could see on that end, would be that the system is only rebooted once a month.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-haibl-msft, made some other changes today to by creating another grouping.

This time 3 overall groups + the "other" group with each of the 3 groups has no more than 3 values.

First time creating it no problem - as expected. But later i tried to edit the grouping removing 3 values from each of the groups, and now I'm experiencing the problem again with stuck on "Working on it".

The computer has 8gb og free ram atm. and the CPU is around 10-20%.

Could it be that the problem lies in the editing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-haibl-msft, the problem still persist, even making minor changes to groupings - adding 1-2.

Using latest PBI Desktop running on Windows Server 2008 R2 (Remote Desktop).