Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Group folder order in PQ Editor is not saved

After one of the latest Power BI updates from the Store the group folder order changed. I have tried to reorder them several times and save the file. When I close Power Bi and open the pbix again, the order is messed up again.

Version: 2.82.5858.961 64-bit (June 2020)

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@richard-powerbi 

The issue is reported internally: CRI 194744561.

zahala
Employee

@richard-powerbi I am not able to reproduce the issue. Just to be clear: are you talking about the groups in the Power Query Editor ("Transform Data")?

If you can find some minimal steps to reproduce the issue from a new pbix that'd be great, but if not some info that would help on my end:

• Are the folders nested, or at the root level?
  • Group names (if these contain sensitive data please don't post them here, you can send them to me in a PM at your discretion)

Thanks!

Zach

richard-powerbi
Post Patron

@zahala Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I realize now how confusing my issue was described by me. I'm talking about the grouping of queries in folders on the left side of the Power Query editor for organazing purpose. You can drag these folders/groups to change their order. When you do this, and close and reopen the pbix, then the order is changed back. I tried to reproduce it with a simple pbix, but then it works..... something fuzzy must have happened or maybe my 'test pbix was too simple'.

zahala
Employee

@richard-powerbi just to confirm, can you still reproduce the issue with your pbix?

zahala
Employee

Also, did you have this preview feature enabled?

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

richard-powerbi
Post Patron

@zahala I had that feaure on (don't remember turning it on myself). I turned it off and tried again. Didn't help. Now it suddenly seems to work again, but only after I added a blank query under Other Queries. I guess there is some state/bug where it does not recognize a change in folder order as a change, and thus it doesn't save anything because it thinks nothing has changed. Anyway thanks for the help and I hope this helps...

zahala
Employee

@richard-powerbi by "Didn't help" do you mean after you turned the feature off you still were seeing the issue? Or the issue was resolved?

If you were still seeing the issue can you try:

1) Turning on the feature

2) Closing and reopening PowerBI

3) Open your pbix

4) Try moving a query group and saving

5) Close & reopen, see if the query group location is updated

richard-powerbi
Post Patron

@zahala 

"do you mean after you turned the feature off you still were seeing the issue?"

Yes. I think adding a new blank query and then changign the order fixed it, but not sure.

zahala
Employee

@richard-powerbi OK great. Can you try the following?

1) Opening PowerBI and turning on the feature

2) Closing and reopening PowerBI

3) Creating a sample pbix with some query groups, save and close

4) Open your pbix

5) Try moving a query group and saving

6) Close & reopen, see if the query group location is updated

7) Turn the feature off, close PowerBI and open your sample pbix again

😎 Try moving a query group and saving

9) Close and reopen your pbix, see if your changes were persisted

Then let me know what happens at steps (6) and (9)? Based on this I can confirm the issue and start working on the bug (it seems related to the experimental metadata feature).

At the end of the steps above you should have the preview feature turned off. If you notice query groups not being moved when the preview feature is off, please let me know.

Thanks!

Zach

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@richard-powerbi 

This should have been fixed in the latest version.