Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Group Data Not Refreshing ***Bug***

In Power BI Desktop I have made changes in Power Query by Replacing Values in a column.  Those changes correctly flow into the spreadsheet view, but when I go to edit the grouping of the column, the Replace Value changes do not show in the Edit Groups interface.  See image.  Any idea why the Ungrouped Values data is not reflecting the refreshed data values?

jimgores_1-1639507305799.png

Hi,

According to my research, I suggest you to check the steps list on the right of the page that if the step “Replace value” is before the step “Group data”.

If not, I think you should first replace the value then group the updated data.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi,

According to my research, I suggest you to check the steps list on the right of the page that if the step “Replace value” is before the step “Group data”.

If not, I think you should first replace the value then group the updated data.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

jimgores
Advocate I

Sorry, I was not clear above.  I created groups in Power BI desktop and then went into Power Query to do the Replace Values step, then I did Close & Apply to pull the changes back into Power BI.  The changes appeared in the Data or Spreadsheet view for Power BI, but then when I went to Edit Group (in Power BI), the old data values were still loading even though they did not appear in the column.  I tried refreshing multiple times and ways and then gave up.  However, I walked away from it for about a half an hour and when I tried again, the correct data values loaded up.  Not sure why there was such a significant delay.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, 

If you want to get the root cause for your kind of specific issue, I suggest you to open a support ticket to get direct help from the technical support team of Microsoft.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

ilia_strelkov
Regular Visitor

This is a known and old bug, surprised that MS is not fixing it. Can be cured by dropping the cash and reopening+refreshing the file, but that not always works from the first time. Behavior is unpredictable and frustrating here 

JayTG123
Advocate I

@ilia_strelkov thank god for your comment here as I was really struggling with re-doing my groups after I had replaced some values in Transform Data window.

Clearing the cache in the Power Bi settings menu worked for me!

QooT
Frequent Visitor

Hey, for me it worked when I created a new Group for same column, and then magically new value showed in ungrouped values section in existing group. Hope this help

Mark_Adams
Frequent Visitor

This is still an issue. It took a couple of reboots and refreshes for the new option to be made available when editing the group.