Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Google BigQuery queries billed on incorrect project

We work with multiple projects in BigQuery, each project being tied to a client.

After loading data in PowerBI from BigQuery, we could not find the query in Query History at Google. It turns out that the query got billed to the wrong project, hence client !!

See below:

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.05_19h51m29s_004_.png

Woraround is very cumbersome: create a new Google account having access to one project only, and log into that one for each project.

I have run the same 'query' (load table) using the Simba ODBC driver and project being billed is consistent with project being queried:

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.05_20h55m32s_005_.png

Unfortunately because ODBC data source does not support DirectQuery, this is not a good option. It also requires installation and configuration.

Interestingly, Microsoft seems to have developped its own ODBC driver under the hood, which allows DirectQuery. 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @yan,

Based on my understanding, you use the Google BigQuery data source in Power BI desktop to get data, then you find the Query History at Google is not correct, right? 

In your scenario, please check if retrieved data in desktop are correct. If it does, as the Query History is Google feature, I would suggest you get help from Google side. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

yan
Advocate I
Advocate I

The query returns fine, the issue is a malformed REST request, or incomplete.

It seems to be due to the embedded Microsoft ODBC Driver for Google BigQuery (tested with ProductVersion 2.52.4921.682).

Google helped me find the Query details and there were logged under the billed project, which again is not an option to charge on in PBI. Since there is no such option, my rightful expectation is that the query cost gets charged on the project where data resides, the one you browse under in PBI.

Google does not log the raw REST API so I cannot tell what exactly is received and what parameters may be missing or incorrect, so we need MSFT to tell what exact request is sent by PowerBI.

In the meantime, if you work with multiple projects, stick to the Simba driver until the Microsoft's one is fixed, unless your Google projects share the same billing account.

This is a major bug in our opinion that must be addressed before Power BI service supports scheduled refresh with bigQuery. I read from Miguel this could be imminent (eoy).

Happy to help troubleshooting - contact me by PM.

bininja
Helper I

Hi guys, 

We just went through a similar problem. We have not had any extra billing as the other project it connected to did not have any billing enables.

I Power BI we got this error saying that we have exceeded the free byte limit and we couldnt understand as we have a high limit to work with. After several days of searching we did find out that the error we got was listed in the other project which was just created for some internal testing in our company.

Any news from Microsoft on this issue? I have access to several other clients on my account, so I hope we can find any easy solution to this.

pjohnson
Frequent Visitor

We are also affected by this issue and would like to see it resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

same problème

yan
Advocate I
Advocate I

Fixed since first posted - see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/googlebigquery, there is a Billing Project ID parameter now, both for the UI and M query.