Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Get Web Data: the credentials provided are invalid

I'm trying to connect to an online database.

After the url is entered into the wizard I am prompted for the credentials to log in to the website. 

For every option I recieve the error "The credentials provided are invalid" except for the anonymous connection, which simply loads the log in screen.

Is there a fix for this?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Which "online database" do you want to get data from? 

Were you able to get data when you use anonymous authentication? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

MPRGray
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft I am also experiencing this issue. I am trying to get data tables from a web source that requires a username and password login to access. 

I have tried to access this source by using anonymous access in the web data wizard. This doesnt work because the only data pulled into power BI is the login screen. 

I have tried the "basic" login and even though I enter my credentials correctly, I get a message stating that my credentials are not correct.

Is there any way to be able to access web data that is behind a credential-protected login, or is this just not something that Power BI can do?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @MPRGray

As you mentioned "I am trying to get data tables from a web source that requires a username and password login to access.", you need to check which authentication type is configuring for this web source firstly, then you can choose corresponding authentication type in Power BI desktop when it prompts you provide credential for the data source. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

MPRGray
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft I have tried every type of authorization. I can get data from behind a credential-accessed Sharefile site using my login. I can get other data by setting the authorization type to anonymous, but nothing works with the site that I am trying to get data from.

I have looked at other similar messages from around the community and there is still no answer.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @MPRGray

I would suggest you contact the site owner to know which authentication they are using to access the site. If you still have trouble, you can create a support ticket to get help. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu