Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Get Data - We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided

Hello,

We are experiencing issues connecting to a SQL Server via Get Data and using alternative Windows credentials.

The warning says - "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided"

More on the environment -

Desktop Client OS: Windows 10/Windows 7

PBI Desktop: March 2018 release

PBI Server: On-prem gateway

Get Data - Import or Direct Query

Source database: SQL Server Database

User account trying to connect: Service account (AD)

Authentication option: 'Use alternate credentials'Can't_authenticate.png

Note that if I select 'Use my current credentials', I can connect to the SQL server. However, if I use the same account and select 'Use alternate credentials' it doesn't work.

Also note that this service account is a local admin on the SQL Server and also a Server Admin within SQL. So there are no issues accessing databases on that SQL server using the service account in question.

I've seen some similar posts on the forum but none of the solutions work for us. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @PowerAI,

Please run SSMS as a different user, which you type in alternate credential box in Power BI desktop, connect to the same SQL instance, check if there is an issue. 

q1.PNG

If not, please update the Power BI desktop to the latest version 2.61.5192.601 then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

PowerAI
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Yes, i’ve tried that already. The account is a local admin in the SQL Server and also a Sysadmin within SQL. What’s interesting is ‘Alternate credentials’ doesn’t work even with my personal account. 

We we will try to update to the latest version.

Thank you.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @PowerAI,

How about the result after you update the Power BI desktop to the latest version? 

I would suggest you create a measure with USERNAME() in Power BI desktop, drag the measure to a card visual to double check if your current windows account is the same one you access SQL in SSMS. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

PowerAI
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for that.

We are looking to get the August version released to the users. I will know if this is resolved once I started testing it.

I will keep you posted.

Thank you.

PowerAI
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

The August version hasn't fixed the issue. I still have the problem where alternate credentials option isn't working. I am not sure what to check further.

Thank you.