Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gatewway octboer 2019 update (v1 + v2) high CPU usage

Hi all,

I have a VM on Azure that hosts our gateway enterprise. I did the monthly update for the october released gateway and my VM keeps shopwing the CPU usage of the gateway at 99% all the time ( which never happened before).

Last Sunday I saw a v2 released so I update the gateway to this version, it was getting better (normal CPU usage situation for like 3 days) and this morning it just went up like crazy 99%.

Any ideas about that?

Thank you,

Dung Anh

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @leed

Please follow this document to optimize gateway performance: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-performance

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

leed
Advocate II

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

Thank you for your reply. But it doesnt answer my question.

Do you guys receive any complains around this latest update about the CPU usage?

I see this, and I'm wondering what is the impact of this change on the gateway?

"

If a gateway cluster with load balancing enabled receives a request from one of the cloud services (like Power BI), it randomly selects a gateway member. If this member is already at or over the throttling limit set for CPU or memory, another member within the cluster is selected. If all members within the cluster are in the same state, the request would fail.

To enable this feature, gateway admins would update the following settings in the Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config file available in the Program Files\On-premises data gateway\ folder.

• CPUUtilizationPercentageThreshold – This configuration allows gateway admins to set a throttling limit for CPU. The permissible range for this configuration is between 0 to 100. A value of 0, which is the default, would indicate that this configuration is disabled
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @leed

I haven't heard this same issue currently. For your issue, I would suggest you create a support ticket to get help. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the same issue. I restart the gateway and it returns to normal but it comes back.

leed
Advocate II

@Anonymous check the update of your VM, make sure the VM is up to date.

Also antivirus might also the root of the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are using VMWare - do you mean the VMWare tools installed on the VM, host settings,  or version of software?

I am going to get the Virus Administrators to exclude the Gateway Folders. Do you know if MSFT have any guidance on Virus Scanning software impacts?