Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gateway refresh changes data format

I've recently tried to implement the on-premise data gateway for a sales/budget report I made that is based on a series of excel files.

I eventually managed to get it refreshing through the gateway without any errors. However, now when it refreshes using the gateway it seems to change the format (or understands the format) of my sales figures differently.

You see in PBI Desktop my sales figures have a comma as a thousands seperator and all my figures display perfectly. If I were to manually upload it to PBI Service (without configuring a gateway) it works fine. But as soon as I configure a gateway and try refresh using that it seems to read the thousand's separator as a decimal point. Resulting in my figures all going haywire.

I have attempted to remove the thousands seperator in PBI Desktop and reupload but I am still having the same problem.

Anyone know how I could solve this?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@dMoneyZA

I just tested with a simple excel file but cannot repro the same issue as you. Could you please provide a simple sample which can be used to repro?

Gateway refresh changes data format_1.jpgGateway refresh changes data format_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

dMoneyZA
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-haibl-msft

Hmm, I just did a test with another excel file and it worked fine just like your example. Sorry, I should have done that before.

There must be something else wrong thats causing it along the way.

Could it be the excel files themselves that are causing that? Because they are not exactly in an ideal format for Power BI to make use of right off the bat. I need to do a number of transformations in Power Query before using them.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@dMoneyZA

Not sure if it is caused by the excel file. If possible, could you please provide the excel file which can be used to repro to me? You can upload to online file service and (e.g. OneDrive) share it. Make sure you’ve removed the sensitive data before sharing.

Best Regards,

Herbert

dMoneyZA
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @v-haibl-msft for your help.

You know what though; there is no need to go through all this trouble. The way I'm doing it isn't the best way to be doing it in the first place, I should be using a database (I just don't have access to it at the moment). So I don't mind manually refreshing the data until next year when we will be setting everything up properly.

Thanks again for you help though.