Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gateway not recognized when query Appends SQL query to CRM Online query

I created a report with Power BI desktop that contains a query to an on-prem SQL Server, a query to Dynamics CRM Online (2016), and a third query that appends the two previous queries together.  When I publish the report to an Workspace and go to Schedule Refresh, I am not able to select a gateway for refreshing.  I get the error "You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources in this dataset...".  Also, the Data Source Credentials menu item is grayed out.

If I remove the third query and publish the dataset, I am able to select a gateway and under Data Source Credentials I see that the credentials are valid for both the SQL Server connection and the CRM connection; plus I'm able to refresh the dataset. 

It appears to me that this is a bug in the PowerBI.com service as the third query works fine in the desktop.  I'm able to manually refresh the dataset on the desktop but unable to connect to a gateway and refresh the dataset in PowerBI.com.

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@rl_evans,

Do you use personal mode gateway or on-premises gateway? I test the scenario as yours, I can schedule refresh for the dataset when including append query using personal mode.

Hoever, it is not possible to use on-premises gateway for combined data sources(online and on-premises) when the dataset includes append or merge query, this is a know issue, please review this idea.

There is a similar thread for your reference,
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/PowerBI-Enterprise-gateway-You-don-t-ha...

Regards,
Lydia

rl_evans
Helper II

I'm using the On-Premise gateway. 

I do have a less than optimal workaround which is to separate the on-prem and online data into two different fact tables.  Then, create common dimensions between the two.  I then create a similar measure for each of the two tables (e.g., SUM(Revenue)) and finally create one measure that sums the two measures together.  This gives me a mashup of revenue across the two sources without using a query to do the mashup.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@rl_evans,

Glad to hear that you have found the optimal workaround.

Regards,

Lyda