Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gateway cannot connect to data source on desktop

Encountering the following error:  

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."

Talent.PNG

Seems like the path file is not being recognized at all, as it does not appear in the error message. Any suggestions? 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @StephenNewman,

Please click Show details, what's the detail information shows? 

In your scenario, does the Excel file reside on the same machine as the on-premises data gateway runs? 

When you type the credential, please use the windows user account, the format should be <domain name>\<user>.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

StephenNewman
Regular Visitor

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Here are the full details, the file is on the same machine as the gateway. 

For the credentials, are you refering to when the file path is entered or the data wource credentials in the settings tab? 

Thanks, 

Stephen 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @StephenNewman,

Yes, the credential I mean is the Username and Password section in your initial post. 

From the detail error message, it states the username or Password is invalid.

As I mentioned before, the Username is a Windows account, the format should be <domain name>\<user>. If you don't know the current Windows user account, you can open the Power BI desktop (if desktop runs on the same machine as Excel and gateway), create a measure: Measure = USERNAME(), then drag this measure to a card visual, it will return current Windows user account. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

sanalytics
Solution Supplier

@v-qiuyu-msft 

Hello Qiuyun Yu 

Hope you are doing well

I am also getting the same error while adding the datasource into the gateway.

I have followed the same steps that you have mentioned.My gateway is also showing Online:good to go..

But, in my machine i login with windows PIN instead of windows password.So i am giving the windows pin while adding the source.

So, Can it be the reason that it is showing the error.

Please find the below screenshot

sanalytics_0-1644682157486.png

Appreciate your help

Regards

sanalytics