I´m using the enterprise gateway to access various analysis services cubes, all of them work fine except for one. It has been running fine for weeks but suddenly I get the following Error:
However the data gateway is configured and displayed as up and running:
I also tried deleting and reconfiguring the data gateway without success.
Any help would be highly appreciated!
Additional Info: Usernames are also mapped correctly!
Did you map user name with the type "Effective user names"? If yes and you are using the latest version of on-premised data gateway, but issue persits, I suggest you to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page).
Hi! Yes, user names have been mapped exactly as described by you (which is also still working fine with other cubes from the same Analysis Services instance).
Ok thanks, I´ll try opening a support ticket like you suggested.
fyi: I had tried republishing the report from Power BI desktop in the past, which did not resolve the issue. However, now I just deleted the entire dataset and all corresponding reports and dashboards and published it again from PBI desktop and now everything works fine, so nothing wrong with usernames, admin rights etc. but apparently just a bug somewhere deep down… J Thanks a lot for your help.