Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Format String YYYY not evaluated correctly on continious Chart Axis, Dangerous Visual Impact

Format String yyyy not evaluated on a Bar Chart Axis

It works in a Table and in a Legend but not on Axis.

Strange is that "mmm yy" works. But for "yyyy" is shows Dec 31 for 31.12.2020 instead of 2020.

I did this instead of a year column as integer or nvarchar because of this Tip from Alberto Ferrari: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14HX0c3jvo&ab_channel=SQLBI

Screenshot: 

ProdwareSaM_0-1603288650679.png

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@ProdwareSaM 

In the Format section of the Visualizations pane, expand the X axis card and change the Type option from Continuous to Categorical.

ProdwareSaM
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, this is working, but actually then i loose the benefit that all Years will always fit into the Visual. 

It is working with Month, but honestly strange:

ProdwareSaM_0-1603360474453.png

I will comment this also to the Video from Alberto. First i was impressend now it is feeling dangerous. But with categorical it is more save currently. 

Edit: Also a Line Chart with Continuous can lead to a wrong visual impact: 

ProdwareSaM_0-1603361166748.png

So currently Categorical is obligatory. But then i miss the effect that only every second or third Month is displayed in case that the Visual is small.  

ProdwareSaM
Frequent Visitor

Update: I changed the month to the 1st Month instead of EOMONTH as Alberto recommends in his Video then it is working for Month: 

ProdwareSaM_0-1603362131941.png

Same I tried for Year (1.1.Year insted of 31.1.Year) then it is working too: 

ProdwareSaM_1-1603362274862.png

But Years are difficult, if you have filtered only few Years then month Names appear and it looks like this:

ProdwareSaM_0-1603367559947.png