Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Format String YYYY not evaluated correctly on continious Chart Axis, Dangerous Visual Impact

Format String yyyy not evaluated on a Bar Chart Axis

It works in a Table and in a Legend but not on Axis.

Strange is that "mmm yy" works. But for "yyyy" is shows Dec 31 for 31.12.2020 instead of 2020.

I did this instead of a year column as integer or nvarchar because of this Tip from Alberto Ferrari: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14HX0c3jvo&ab_channel=SQLBI

Screenshot: 

ProdwareSaM_0-1603288650679.png

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@ProdwareSaM 

In the Format section of the Visualizations pane, expand the X axis card and change the Type option from Continuous to Categorical.

ProdwareSaM
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, this is working, but actually then i loose the benefit that all Years will always fit into the Visual. 

It is working with Month, but honestly strange:

ProdwareSaM_0-1603360474453.png

I will comment this also to the Video from Alberto. First i was impressend now it is feeling dangerous. But with categorical it is more save currently. 

Edit: Also a Line Chart with Continuous can lead to a wrong visual impact: 

ProdwareSaM_0-1603361166748.png

So currently Categorical is obligatory. But then i miss the effect that only every second or third Month is displayed in case that the Visual is small.  

ProdwareSaM
Frequent Visitor

Update: I changed the month to the 1st Month instead of EOMONTH as Alberto recommends in his Video then it is working for Month: 

ProdwareSaM_0-1603362131941.png

Same I tried for Year (1.1.Year insted of 31.1.Year) then it is working too: 

ProdwareSaM_1-1603362274862.png

But Years are difficult, if you have filtered only few Years then month Names appear and it looks like this:

ProdwareSaM_0-1603367559947.png