Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Forecasting Visuals

I have a data that shows business over 4 or 5 years. We are awarded the contract in year 0. We calculate the spread of the amount over the duration of the contracted project. 

While using Excel, I can use charts which portray the data as column chart separated by space and driven by the column and no other data.

In PowerBI, I have to use clustered or stacked columns. In clustered columns, all the columns are attached to each other and concentrated in the middle. Is there any way that I can spread those out over the window, without using any non numerical distinguishers? In short I would want the data to look as the image attached.

desmon316_0-1661528656528.png

Hi @desmon316,

You mean you want something like the following picture but Clustered column or Stacked column chart couldn’t fulfill? As you can see, the following char is created with Clustered column chart which is similar to the screenshot from you.

vcazhengmsft_0-1661757899978.png

If I misunderstand your needs, please feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @desmon316,

You mean you want something like the following picture but Clustered column or Stacked column chart couldn’t fulfill? As you can see, the following char is created with Clustered column chart which is similar to the screenshot from you.

vcazhengmsft_0-1661757899978.png

If I misunderstand your needs, please feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

desmon316
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-cazheng-msft 

Thank you for your response.

I plan to create something similar as shared by you. My understanding may be low, if I use clustered charts, with the data as the sum of a column, I get: 

desmon316_0-1662458845544.png

Now I understand if I were to bring in a non numerical foreign key, I can split it as:

desmon316_1-1662458845558.png

I would want to slice the data by the Business Unit and just show the data split spread over the window.

To clarify: As we have projects which spread over years, I can not add specific FY as a field.

Hope I have tried to clarify our situation.

Regards

Desmond

desmon316
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft@v-cazheng-msft 

Is there a solution for this?

In PowerBI:

desmon316_0-1666618831076.png

in Tableau:

desmon316_1-1666618865781.png

in Excel using Pivot Table:

Sum of Columns.

desmon316_2-1666618925479.png

Is there something I am doing wrong to get the output similar to excel or Tableau.