Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Filter order of Top N with any other filter

I have been using Top N feature on Power BI ever since it was released however, I realised today that it does not work well if applied along with other measure filter on the same grid. Basically, the Top N function is applied before any other filter hence there are cases when this returns less than N rows. Here is how you reproduce:

- Take a matrix visualization. Put couple of fields on rows and few measures in values.
- Take any column that is on row and apply top N filter for any measure you desire.
- Now take another measure that is visible and apply an advance filter where value > 100 or value is < 0 etc.
- What you will notice is the top N filter is applied first and then the second filter whereas it should filter the second one first and then applying top N filter.

Wither the filters section in visualisations should apply filters based on the order or let users choose the order. 

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@calyps

There should be priority for the filters, the second filter you applied in third step may have higher priority than the top N filter.

I think you can create an idea in http://ideas.powerbi.com – apply filters based on the order or let users choose the order.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

Reddy567
Regular Visitor

Idea is mentioned as delivered. Can you help me find where is the solution. @Vicky_Song @calyps @v-haibl-msft