Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Filled maps do not render CT towns correctly or at all

I am using Power BI Report Server August 2017 Preview with Power BI Desktop RS June 2017 GA.

Using a Filled map, specific CT towns do not render correctly or at all.  The expected bahavior is that the actual town borders will be drawn and filled.  Examples include but are not limited to:

• Glastonbury, CT: Does not render at all, although South Glastonbury does appear with separate borders (South Glastonbury is a named place within the borders of the official town of Glastonbury, the borders of which are also rendered incorrectly). However, if selecting the Glastonbury bubble in a separate map on the same report, then Glastonbury does display correctly with the expected town borders.
  • Manchester, CT: Borders are rendered but not correctly even though only the official town name appears in the data (i.e. no subordinate named places). Like Glastonbury, if selecting the Manchester bubble in a separate map on the same report, then Manchester does display correctly with the expected town borders.
  • Somers, CT: Exact same issue as Manchester.
  • New Hartford, CT: Exact same issue as Manchester.
  • Coventry, CT: Exact same issue as Manchester.
  • Brooklyn, CT: Exact same issue as Manchester.

Glastonbury issue: Glastonbury has 163 students in the data set, which appears correctly on the bubble map, but in the filled map Glastonbury does not show (only the 25 students in South Glastonbury render). Once the bubble is actually clicked in the bubble map, Glastonbury appears correctly on the filled map.

Glastonbury not rendering on filled map.png

Above: Mouse over the bubble for Glastonbury and see the count. On the filled map only South Glastonbury is showing, which has 25 students, although with incorrect borders.

Below: The Glastonbury bubble is selected and Glastonbury is properly displayed on the filled map.

Glastonbury rendering on filled map after selecting bubble map location.png

Manchester issue: Only Manchester, CT is included in the data, but the borders render differently in the filled map depending on whether the bubble map's bubble is selected or not.

Manchester not rendering correctly on filled map.pngManchester rendering on filled map after selecting bubble map location.png

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @johncpratt,

Please update the Power BI desktop for report server to 2.49.4831.801 64-bit (August 2017) to see if the issue persists. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

johncpratt
Advocate II

@v-qiuyu-msft, @Vicky_Song,  I used your link to download and install the August 2017 Preview version of Power BI Desktop RS (very smooth install/upgrade over the June 2017 GA!).  It had no effect on this issue.

I did change the data category for the calculated column to "Place".  Even with the data category change, it did not fix the issue and there were no changes in behavior.  To be clear, I am using the exact same field with the same values on both maps.

My initial guess was that Bing Maps did not have the correct borders in the database for the affected CT towns, but when clicking the bubble on the bubble map and seeing the correct borders appear on the filled map, I knew the correct border data had to exist.  So I'm left wondering what is happening mechanically behind the scenes between the two map visuals when the bubble map element is clicked and the filled map switches from an odd border shape to the expected one.  Or perhaps its when the filled map is initially rendered that the issue occurs, and clicking the bubble map element just reveals the correct borders.

Given that almost all our agency work is within the region shown, it is critical that we find a resolution to the town border issue in order to represent our data by town.  I am particularly interested in getting this to work since I was a Geography major in college.

Is this something that can be reproduced on your end?  My screenshots show the formula bar and examples of field values, with Glastonbury (town borders and zip code borders) and Manchester (town borders) being the easiest to identify as a problem.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @johncpratt,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. The Manchester boarder display fine whenever I select the Manchester bubble in map or not. 

w1.PNGw2.PNG

Here is my test PBIX file, please download and test if it has issue on your side. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

johncpratt
Advocate II

@v-qiuyu-msft, I DL'd your file and it worked fine in my Desktop RS app.  I did note that when clicking on the Manchester, CT bubble in the left map, the right filled map zoomed way out to see the whole Northeast US (just commenting on everything since this is clearly an odd issue.  My testing focused on Manchester.

I noted that you have City and State as "Uncategorized", so I did that in my data set with no effect (they had been set to "City" and "State or Province" respectively).  I found that a couple records in my data had proper-cased State values and fixed them, with no effect.  I explicitly set the data type on all columns, with no effect. 

I have also added a drilldown level to ZIP Code, and for Manchester the borders and counts were exact on the filled map even though the town borders at the City level do not display correctly.  I checked for odd records, extra spaces/characters in Manchester, and anything else that may differ with nothing found.

I also tried removing the filled map and adding a new one, but the results were the same.

The only thing I can see that is functionally different is that you had an Amount column in your data, while in my data I have a calculated column using COUNTROWS().  Each record represents one student, so I need to count the number of students for any particular visual.  All counts appear to be working correctly, including on the filled map, but I have to point this out as one difference.

Manchester not rendering correctly on filled map_After101717Changes.png

I would like to get you my PBIX file, but it technically contains sensitive data (FERPA) so I can only transmit it in some kind of secure manner.  Let me know how you would like to proceed.

johncpratt
Advocate II

@v-qiuyu-msft, I should be able to remove the student number and street address columns, which are the only ones containing data that could be considered sensitive (personally identifying).  I didn't end up using street address, and the student number is only there for troubleshooting support.  This will take me a bit of time to do, so I only want to pursue this approach if you'd like to work on my PBIX.  I do have a work Office 365 account, so I can put the file in my OneDrive and send you the link (email would be best for that just to be safe).  Let me know.  Thanks!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @johncpratt,

You can send the pbix file or OneDrive link via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

johncpratt
Advocate II

@v-qiuyu-msft, my email with the PBIX file is on the way, with sensitive columns removed.  Thanks!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @johncpratt,

Thanks for your shared pbix file. I have reported this issue internally (case ID: 117102016527899), I will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @johncpratt,

The issue should be fixed in Power BI report server October version. Please try to update to this version and let me know if the issue is gone.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu