Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Field parameters - bug in the service

I've found a bug when this feature is used in the service. I have 4 line charts with the X axis as a field parameter (Year, Quarter, Month, Week, Day). This works great in Desktop. However, when published to the service the parameter's slicer initially only changes the X axis on 1 of the charts. Only after clicking Reset to Default will the slicer change all 4 charts. Has anyone else noticed similar?

Sounds like strange since it only happens at the first time of opening the report in Power BI Service.

If possible you can sharing a dummy sample report about this issue which could reproduce it. You can upload this report to somewhere online which could store files and share the public link here, instead of a link which needs access.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test.

When I have created a parameter in Power BI Desktop and applied for 4 line charts with the slicer, it could be filtered all visuals in Power BI Service after publishing the report.

vyingjl_0-1653273520943.png

Whether you can consider sharing more details about this issue, like the steps to reproduce this issue, or a dummy sample about it.

Best Regards,

DavidJCadman
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks

I created a new report with sample data and I get the same issue.  Only the bottom-right chart changes based on the slicer when first published to the service.  However, a difference is that if I close and reopen this report (in the service) it then works as expected.    I wonder if it could be related to having zoom sliders applied to the X axis of each chart and/or the Quarter column not being numeric (2020 Q1 etc) whereas the values of the other columns are.  I could send you the pbix if that helps.  Let me know where to send it.

DavidJCadman_1-1653310574915.png

DavidJCadman
Frequent Visitor

Actually, I tried removing the quarter option and the zoom sliders.  I still get the same issue on first open of the report.

Let me know if you want the pbix.  Thanks in advance.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Sounds like strange since it only happens at the first time of opening the report in Power BI Service.

If possible you can sharing a dummy sample report about this issue which could reproduce it. You can upload this report to somewhere online which could store files and share the public link here, instead of a link which needs access.

Best Regards,

wicket250
Advocate I

I am experiencing this issue as well.  None of the field parameters on my report work until I reset the report to default when I first open it.  I have two field parameters, one that changes the metric and one that changes the pivot field.  One visual uses both pivot fields, and the other two visuals use one pivot field each, respectively.

DavidJCadman
Frequent Visitor

@v-yingjl 

Here's my sample report as a publish to web https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNGVhNjU4YTktYTVmOC00NTc1LTlmNzYtMTg2NzMwODQzNzVjIiwidCI6Ijk0Y...

The problem doesn't occur when displayed in this context though.  It also doesn't happen if I embed the report in PowerPoint.

The problem only occurs for the report (or other reports I have created with multiple charts) when displayed in the service, either in the workspace or in an App.

CaveOfWonders
Helper IV

I am also experiencing the same issue. Works well in desktop but not in the service.

In my case I have 4 measures and two columns. I added two conditional columns to the parameter table. One to group measures and columns and one to group the previous column into a higher level.

Must be a bug.

Scotto133
Frequent Visitor

I have a report that I published to a workspace in Service and the same issue occurs there.  I have 2 slicers with the field parameter selector and they don't work until Reset to Default is selected.  They continue to work during that session, but if the browser page is closed and the report is reopened, then the Reset to Default is needed again.