Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Field parameters - Default sorting order resets when changing parameter (BUG?)

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with the new PBI field parameters function (still in preview). It was said this could work as an alternative for a measure which uses SWITCH and SELECTEDVALUE to change between different measures in a visual.

I made a setup of several KPIs in a slicer (Turnover, Productivity, etc.) which refer to different measures, which works perfectly fine when putting it as a single column in a table (it splits the turnover over the different buckets). However, I would like to always have it sorted by the Bucket with the highest Turnover or Productivity instead of alphabetical order, so I apply a sorting order on the visual. This sorting always resets after changing to a different measure. See my screenshots below

Remo__0-1655110563768.png

My initial thought was this coud be because the column name is different, so I tried the same while keeping the same column name:

Remo__1-1655110994049.png

The same issue remains. Which in my opinion makes the function useless for this purpose, because you cannot set any default sorting on a table or matrix visual. Anyone already experienced the same problem or knows whether this is a bug because so far it is only in preview?

If this is the case, I would like to opt this to be fixed before going to General Availability with the field parameters functionality.

Like to hear from all of you!

Hi @Remo_,

This issue has been reported internally(ICM 309586486).  The product group has filed this bug and they are working on the fix. Currently, no expect time available. Please be patient for the fix. Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Remo_,

This issue has been reported internally(ICM 309586486).  The product group has filed this bug and they are working on the fix. Currently, no expect time available. Please be patient for the fix. Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

takezo
Regular Visitor

Hello @v-cazheng-msft , can you please advise in which fix this change was delivered? I've just updated to the July release and I'm still seeing this issue.

Thanks,

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I've run into this exact problem. Judging from the above messages, an exact timeframe in which a solution could be expected could not be given a couple of months ago. Is there an update on when we can expect a fix?

Kind Regards,

Martijn Wijnands

RHOU
Advocate II

@v-cazheng-msft I also just discovered this problem today. I'm on July 2022 version as well (2.107.841.0) and this appears not fixed yet. 

Here my example: 

I want the sorting on a column chart to be done in ASC order by the X Axis Dimension (a numerical dimension). Everytime I switch the field parameter (which is the field on the X Axies), the sorting gets changed to the measure (the measure is consistent and doesn't change)

RHOU
Advocate II

I just updated to August 2022 (2.108.603.0 ) and the issue still exists, no change in behavior. 

kdevroede
Frequent Visitor

I've the same problem, I'm trying to use the functionality to allow the user to easily switch between different granularty levels of time on the x-axis. As we want to be able to switch between day/week/month view, a typical drill up or down does not works sinces weeks do not fit in months.

But as RHOU mentioned, each time I switch the selected field parameter, the sorting is set to the measure being displayed.

RHOU
Advocate II

It looks like this can't be upvoted anymore because it is in status delivered. Does this mean we need to create a new issue to put this back on Microsoft's radar? @v-cazheng-msft 

takezo
Regular Visitor
kdevroede
Frequent Visitor

Probably because the new idea is also marked as "Delivered", we can no longer upvote so I assume we have to wait for the announcement in which release this will get fixed.

In the meantime I've found a solution to fix my problem.

IF the different attributes you want to switch between on the x-axis are recognised as being time-series, then PBI will not alter the ordering to be based on the decreasing measure values.

So in my case, switching from Year to Month or day kept the order, but switching to week which was reflected as a year-week text value, broke the order.

I solved this by adding a "first day of the week" date field to my calendar table and defining that my week field should be sorting based on that field.

This now works fine for me but of course it is a very specific use case for which I'm happy to have found a workaround.

vinicka
Regular Visitor

Hi, 
I wil be glad for the status of this issue. This improvement is needed ASAP, field parameter is really great help but without default sorting is more harm. 

Thank you!