Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Feb 2018 Power Bi Desktop Update Mark as Date Table

When I mark my date table as a date table and then use my Calendar Hierarchy instead of the previously generate one, I am no longer able to set the X Axis type to Continuous.

Would this have something to do with the fact that the automatically generated hierachies get assigned a "dataCategory"

eg. the "Month" is set to  "dataCategory": "Months" in the generated hierarchy but in my date table I am unable to assign any meaningful Data Category.

Love the feature, but it seems not fully implemented (unless I have missed something?) 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @markf,

What do you mean about the "Calendar Hierarchy"? Is it created by yourself via columns (Year, Month)? 

Based on my test in Power BI desktop version 2.55.5010.621 64-bit (February 2018), though the table has been marked as a date table, the created new hierarchy drag into the line chart visual, X axis can be set as Continuous. You can try our test file on your side. 

If I misunderstand your issue, please share a sample pbix file with dummy data for us. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

markf
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that. very interesting. If you try your provided example in Power BI Desktop and have the visualizations panel open with the X-Axis field well open you will notice that the "Type" switches from Continuous to Categorical as you drill down the hierarchy that you created. This does not happen with the Power BI generated Hierarchy. If set to continuous, it remains Continuous through all levels of the hierarchy drilled down to.

Cheers,

Mark

markf
Frequent Visitor

And here is a slightly updated version of your PBIX with the date added and the order of year and month swapped.

Updated MarkAsDateTable