Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Failing to load Reports

I am using Power BI Desktop - Version: 2.90.782.0 64-bit (February 2021)

When I open my PBIX file, sometimes Power BI fails to load any of the 8 reports !  Note that the DATA and MODEL tab are properly loaded ... but the REPORT tab is blank ...it shows one tab labeled as "Page 1"

This issue started with the new  Power BI Desktop - Version: 2.90.782.0 64-bit (February 2021) that I installed !

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I have tested on my side, it works well.

if other reports have the same problem?

you could use previous versions to have  a try.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

and if possible, could you please share your sample pbix file for us have a test.

Regards,

Lin

hkice
Advocate II

This issue is not limited to a particular PBIX file.  It happens also to Microsoft's own COVID-19 sample file located at :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/sample-covid-19-us 

When the file is in the process of opening up ... the reports flashes by very quickly and then I just get that one tab report "Page 1"

-  I go into the DATA and MODEL tabs and then back to the REPORT tab to see if it will come back ... no change.  I still see just the "Page 1" report

-  Rebooted (both hot and cold) the computer - Issue exists

The only solution that seems to works is ... to keep trying to open the report ... after 10-14 attempts it will load fine.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I have tested on my side, it works well on my side, include COVID-19 sample file.

It never happen as you said, try to uninstall and reinstall to test again.

Regards,

Lin

MAcaranduba
Regular Visitor

Getting similar behaviour for all my reports. In my case, all my projects fail to open with the following error. Even simples projects with as single dummy page, with no external data source what so ever. I just upgraded from the last Power BI Desktop version to this new one, described in this topic. The other thing I did, worth of mentioning, was to install Microsoft R. I'll to downgrande Power BI Desktop version to see if it solves the current problem.

The following message talks about an exception raised by an external component. In some projects, i'm using Animated Bar Chart Race, but the thing is that Power BI Desktop IDE doesn't failed after starting up. It only fails and shutdowns after loading any project, even a dummy one.

Just realized that the same situation ocurrs when using https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/sample-covid-19-us  .

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Componente externo acionou uma exceção.

Stack Trace:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
em Microsoft.InformationProtection.Internal.SdkWrapperPINVOKE.FileHandler_IsLabeledOrProtected__SWIG_1(HandleRef jarg1, String jarg2, HandleRef jarg3)
em Microsoft.InformationProtection.Internal.FileHandler.IsLabeledOrProtected(Stream stream, String filePath, MipContext mipContext)
em Microsoft.InformationProtection.File.FileHandler.IsLabeledOrProtected(Stream inputStream, String inputFileName, MipContext mipContext)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Eim.InformationProtection.Mip.MipClientHelper.IsLabeledOrProtected(Stream inputStream, String inputFileExtention)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Eim.InformationProtection.InformationProtectionManager.IsStreamLabeled(Stream stream)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Eim.InformationProtection.FileInformationProtectionManager.<SignInAndDecryptStreamAsync>d__14.MoveNext()
--- Fim do rastreamento de pilha do local anterior onde a exceção foi gerada ---
em System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
em System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.<LoadFromPbix>d__23.MoveNext()
--- Fim do rastreamento de pilha do local anterior onde a exceção foi gerada ---
em System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClass15_0`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__0>d.MoveNext()
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion[T](Task`1 task)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.OpenFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPbixFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileOperationUIHandler.OpenFileInternal(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, IQueryServices queryServices, IOpenSaveUI openSaveUI, TelemetryUserActionId entryPoint, IPbixFile pbixFile, Boolean fromRecentFile)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileOperationUIHandler.OpenLocalFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, IQueryServices queryServices, TelemetryUserActionId entryPoint, String filePath, Boolean fromRecentFile)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow.OpenDocument(TelemetryUserActionId entryPoint, String testFilePath)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow.<ShowStartDialog>d__96.MoveNext()
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_7.<<Main>b__8>d.MoveNext()
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow.<<ActivateMainWindow>b__114_1>d.MoveNext()
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()

Stack Trace Message:
Componente externo acionou uma exceção.

Invocation Stack Trace:
em Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
em Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
em Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<HandleException>b__0()
em Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Utilities.UIBlockingAwareExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()
em System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Func`1 asyncFunc)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAsyncExceptions>d__0.MoveNext()
em System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncVoidMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleAsyncExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Func`1 asyncFunc)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow.<ActivateMainWindow>b__114_0()
em Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
em System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
em System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
em System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
em System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
em System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
em System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
em System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
em System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
em System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
em System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
em System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
em System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
em System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
em System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
em System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
em Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Main>b__1()
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
em Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
em Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Error Code:
-2147467259 (0x80004005)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.90.782.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.InformationProtection.dll","Component":"Microsoft.InformationProtection.Internal.SdkWrapperPINVOKE","Error":"System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException","MethodDef":"FileHandler_IsLabeledOrProtected__SWIG_1","ErrorOffset":"-1"}

hkice
Advocate II

@v-lili6-msft  - I did a re-install and that did not chang the result.  The reports still dont show up.  The only solution that works is if I keep re-opening the PBIX file until all my reports load. 

This is ridicilous - every new version brings in new issues.  I should be getting paid by Microsoft for all the tests/reinstalls/edits that I am doing to make this work.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I would suggest you to create a support ticket to get further help from power bi support team.

Regards,

Lin