Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Failing access permissions to dataflow workspace through Microsoft Excel

Since September it is possible in Microsoft Excel to connect to Power BI Dataflows, which is a great feature. Today we found out that colleagues, without any permission/access to the workspace containing dataflows, got access to the dataflows through Excel. This seems to be a leak in my opinion.

Does someone else experience the same? 

Thanks!

Hi @MCBPBI 

This seems to be a permissions issue on the Excel side, you can find Microsoft 365 and Office at this link below and ask your question.

Microsoft Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @MCBPBI 

Do you mean that since the September update, users can get dataflow data directly in excel without any permission ? What conditions do you need before you visit ? 

Best Regards,

MCBPBI
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for looking into this. Yes users get data without any permissions to the specific workspace in Power BI Services. Normally you would need at least "Viewer" permission to get access to the data.

MCBPBI_0-1664179073513.png

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @MCBPBI 

This seems to be a permissions issue on the Excel side, you can find Microsoft 365 and Office at this link below and ask your question.

Microsoft Community

Best Regards,

MCBPBI
Frequent Visitor

Hi again,

I figured out where this issue comes from. We give people access on workspace level (Admin/Member/Contributor/Viewer), but in the tenant settings there is an option to enable or disable the access for the entire organization. These settings overrule the workspace settings, what is not wished according to me. 

MCBPBI_0-1665059940492.png