Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Failed to update data source credentials: PostgreSQL NPGSQL

Hello, I have a problem with the gateway where I am no longer getting the data source from postgreSql, I installed NPGSQL version 4.0.4 on the gateway server but nothing has changed.
The message returned is:
Failed to update data source credentials: PostgreSQL: We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'Npgsql'. This error could have been the result of provider-specific client software being required, but missing on this computer. To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose the 64-bit (x64) version of, at minimum, 'Npgsql version 2.0.12'

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @dbritoprime

Please update gateway to the latest version then test again if you are able to specify credential for PostgreSQL data source. You can also update NPGSQL to the latest version 4.1.1:https://www.nuget.org/packages/Npgsql/

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft 

I am having the same issue. 

I run a personal mode gateway, and data from Postgresql refreshes nicely in Power BI Desktop, however, I am unable to set up scheduled refresh in the service as I am getting the same error as the OP when trying to sign in to the source in the "Schedule refresh"-menu.

I've updated the gateway to the latest version (3000.10.248 (October2019(Release 2))

also, I've tried the following versions of npgsql:

Every single one of them with the same issue. I've rebooted after each install/uninstall.

dbritoprime
Frequent Visitor

Hello,
I tried these updates but was unsuccessful.
For solution I used the ODBC connection, it was laborious to change all connections but it was the solution.

Welcomer
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here, but there is no way we can return everything to ODBC connection!

Did you find a solution to this problem ?

paragjain
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I was also facing the same issue and tested each and everything. Starting from npgsql, updating on-premises gateway and powerbi desktop. But the issue was not resolved.

I was using the on-premises gateway (personal mode), later I migrated on-premises gateway (default mode).

Now all dashboards are refreshing and issue resolved.

dbritoprime
Frequent Visitor

Hi @paragjain, good you got it, I tried with the local gateway (default mode) and I was also successful with connecting to postgres, but I barred in connecting to the local folders, as AD access was unsuccessful in connecting and I didn't deepen it either subject, so ODBC was my solution for connecting to postgres.

@Welcomer , Try with the gateway (default mode).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, same issue and start yesterday

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

Please create a support ticket to get help. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

dbritoprime
Frequent Visitor

Hi, @Anonymous

Try to download this drive.

https://github.com/npgsql/Npgsql/releases/tag/v2.2.4.3