Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FIlter Type Missing - New Filter Experience

We are using new filter experience to restrict filters available to users. One of our reports defaults to comparing data from previous 1 year (relative date filter). Prior to using new filter experience users could then select any 2 dates to compare the dataset (advanced filter). With new filter experience you cannot change filter type so report is very restrictive.

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

You can change filter type in visual/page/report level filters, then the type will be reflected in new filter.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Delivered

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia but this I already know and it can cause issues, inconsitency, confusion for users. For the experienced users perhaps not too bad but still not the best design.

1) I can change the filter type but the end user of the report cannot as they only see the new experience filter.

2) I can present 2 date filters to the area like the example you provide but this may conflict and lead to a lack of understanding for an end user. Either, they need to clear one filter to make the other work or they have summary visuals reporting different numbers to detail visuals.

My current workaround for the issue is to use report level for the default (since the year comparison is default for all pages) and page level for the free choice of dates. It is just about an acceptable workaround with user training.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

There is an idea about this issue, please vote it up.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/36210943-filter-type

Regards,
Lydia