Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

External B2B Guests Can See Apps if going to my tenant URL directly, but not from their tenant

I'm trying to share content externally with guests invited from Azure AD.

The app has been published and shared, but the guests do not see the app listed in their apps.

If I give the URL of the app directly to these guests, they get an error: Sorry, we couldn't find that app. It may have been deleted or you may not have access to view it.

If I give the guest users a direct link to my tenant by going to Help \ About, then when they log in they can see the apps listed that I have published to them.

Why can't the users access this app from their normal app.powerbi.com login?

See details here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/power-bi-web-app/message-id/165636

@therealomacoder 

You may consider creating a support ticket for further investigation. After that, there will be an engineer help you troubleshoot on it.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @therealomacoder ,

For external users, content including app shared with them will not display in their Apps list and Power BI won’t automatically install for them. It’s by design. If they would like to access this app in the future, they need to bookmark the report link for view it in the future. For more details, you could refer to  Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,

therealomacoder
Helper II

It's not a report, it's an app. And the app link does not work for them either.

So sharing with external customers does not work at all then? And they just need to log in to my tenant?

And the documentation you linked me to is unrelated as it appears to be specific for Reports and Dashboards. This documentation also says the user will get an email notifying them it's been shared. This doesn't happen. They receive no emails.

Furthermore, this is an App.

therealomacoder
Helper II

If I give the URL of the app directly to these guests, they get an error: Sorry, we couldn't find that app. It may have been deleted or you may not have access to view it.

If I give the guest users a direct link to my tenant by going to Help \ About to get my tenant URL, they can then (only after signing out of their tenant, can they see the app when sigining into my tenant.)

Why can't the users access this app from their normal app.powerbi.com login?

This is the second time I opened this issue.
The first time, someone responded and said this is working as designed and then referenced me to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/power-bi-web-app/message-id/165636. But this article is about sharing reports and dashboards, nothing to do with Apps. Additionally, this documentation also says the user will receive an email - no, they don't. They receive no email when provisioning them for the app.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

@therealomacoder 

You may consider creating a support ticket for further investigation. After that, there will be an engineer help you troubleshoot on it.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,