Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Expression.Error: The import [custom function] matches no exports. Did you miss a module reference?

When sharing .pbix files between the same Power BI Desktop version on two seperate machines, I receive the following error during refresh:

"Expression.Error: The import SmartApiOData.Feed matches no exports. Did you miss a module reference?"

The .pbix file I am using references SmartApiOData.Feed which is a custom connector function.   I am using the same Power BI Desktop Version: 2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018) on both machines and have the same SmartApiOData.mez custom connector file on both machines.   I create a simple report using the SmartApiOData.Feed function on computer A and save the file as text.pbix.   I copy the file to computer B and d-click the file to open it.  After PBI Desktop opens up, I attempt to refresh and I see the error:

"Expression.Error: The import SmartApiOData.Feed matches no exports. Did you miss a module reference?"

Note that I can work around the problem by doing this:

• On computer B  (the one showing the problem), go to advanced editor and rename the function to XmartApiOData.Feed.   This results in an error since the function is not known.
  • Then open advanced editor again and rename the function back to SmartApiOData.Feed.   This fixes the issue and the data refreshes.

Also, this problem does not exist if using templates (.pbit) instead of reports (.pbix).

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @DaveTheOx,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 80832465. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @DaveTheOx,

I got below information from PG team:

The root cause of this issue is a pair of bugs. The first one happens because analysis begins before connectors are all fully loaded. This means that the initial analysis of the query gives an error, and caches it. I filed a bug to track this issue. Normally, the user should be able to just refresh the query, but there's a second bug that blocks this - our compiler caches the query, and therefore refreshing it simply returns the broken query from before. This is why the user has to use the workaround described in the forum post in order to get it to work. This is also being tracked by a bug in our system.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

DaveTheOx
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thanks for the status.  Its great that the bugs have been found.  Do you know when the fixes will be available in Power BI Desktop?

Regards,
Dave

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @DaveTheOx,

The fix for second bug will be released with Power BI desktop February version. With this fix, you should be able to fix the query by simply refreshing it.

The first bug is a deeper issue with how extensibility is designed. We’re looking into it, but we haven’t decided on a course of action yet.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu