Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Exporting to excel only return 30,003 records

Hi,

According to this page : https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-export-data/ 
The maximum number of rows that can be exported to .xlsx is 150,000.

When we try to export the data gets truncated after ~30000th row.

We are using free version.

Regards,
Jakub

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

Please make sure you are exporting to .xlsx instead of .csv.

I test several times on my side but cannot repro the same issue as you. Could you please share your PBIX file if you are using Import mode, and also please help collect the fiddler traces during exporting to .xlsx and share them through online file service like OneDrive?

Fiddler.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for answering Herbert.

I was able to replicate the issue using an excel spreadsheet with just row number from 1 to 50,000. Will try to set up Fiddler. Currently my main concern is that we are experiencing correct export functionality on accounts that applied for free trial of Power BI Pro, but not on the accounts that did not. Have you been testing it on the free version or the Pro one?

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

In the past, there is a limitation that Free users can only export 30K rows of data. We're still confirming with product team to see if this limitation still exists for free users.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Investigating

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Herbert, 

Could you explain what "In the past, there is a limitation that Free users can only export 30K rows of data." means? Was the limitation in the past and should not be currently? Is the documentation incorrect or is it a bug that should be resolved (surprised no one else has pointed that out before). 

I'd really like to have an answer as our team is currently rebuilding the solution using MicroStrategy Desktop, which can export over 600,000 rows (20 times more than Power BI!!!!!!) of data using their free tool. 

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

The document has been updated now. This limitation is listed there.

Exporting to excel only return 30,003 records_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert