Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Exporting a PDF with a page size of letter creates a PDF with a 9.5 x 12 file size.

We have two .pbi files with a page size of letter. I've selected both ""Page View - Fit to Page" and "Page View - Acutal Size" but the pdf is always 9.5 x 12 instead of 8.5 x 11.  

I've viewed the other posts related to this issue, and tried everything suggested, but so far, nothing has worked. 

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

VMR_0-1623807589640.png       VMR_2-1623807632517.png

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

there is a same icm had beed submitted to PG, ICM: 208602207

Problem description

Simple version of the problem as perceived by the Customer: Cx is developing a project where they need to export to PDF a report with the exact letter size 216 x 279 mm /  8.5 x 11.0 in and even if they use letter as page size in Power BI desktop this never returns the correct size in PBI Desktop or PBI Service.

and get this from pg:

xxxxx 2020-10-10 01:10:13 CST
By-Design limitation
xxxxx 2020-10-09 11:08:41 CST

This is already mentioned in the limitations

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-pdf#limitations-and-considerations

When exporting to PDF, we cannot guarantee pixel perfect fidelity for PBIX reports.

Regards,
Lin
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin,

Thank you so much for the response. Yes, I do not expect pixel perfect fidelity for PBIX reports, but I would expect if the Page Size is specified as Letter (8.5 x 11) that the output would be 8.5x11. This has worked correctly in the past for the same reports that it is now failing on.

Thanks,

Voni 

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

it is a By-Design limitation, you could submit your suggestion and feedback in here:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

and you said "This has worked correctly in the past for the same reports that it is now failing on" I also use 2020 Nov version power bi desktop to create a new report to have a test, it doesn't work too.

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin,

In January of 2021, we were combining PDFs from several sources, one being powerbi. The Page View in PBI Desktop was set to Fit to width when it was published to powerbi.com and that caused it to be larger than the other PDF reports. When we set it to Actual Size and published to powerbi.com, the size was corrected and it was 8.5 x 11. This is no longer working making it difficult to combine the powerbi PDF with other report PDFs. 

I don't think this should be considered a by-design limitation. If the user specifies 8.5x11 and powerbi generates a 9.5x12 (non-standard page) file, I think this should be considered a defect. Why ask the user to specify and then do something other than what was specified?

Thanks for your consideration.

Voni