Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Exported PowerPoint object's "Show as Saved Image" setting ignored when opened in PowerPoint Online

After exporting Power BI report to PowerPoint (via Export > PowerPoint > Embed live data), set the embedded object to "Show as Saved Image", save the pptx file, then open back in the browser, the embedded Power BI object remains live regardless of how it was configured on the desktop app.

In addition, the embedded Power BI object persists to be on top in the Z-order ignoring the configuration made on the desktop app when opened in the browser.

Please make it so that the "Show as Saved Image" setting and Z-order configuration are respected in the PowerPoint Online.

How pptx was configured in Desktop appHow pptx was configured in Desktop app
How pptx appears onlineHow pptx appears online

As far as I know, export to ppt with embed live data only affects PowerPoint cause that it has been exported to on-premise, this feature is used to remain data static to  make it into an image, see:

Tell a story with your data. Announcing the all-new Power BI integration for PowerPoint. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

As far as I know, export to ppt with embed live data only affects PowerPoint cause that it has been exported to on-premise, this feature is used to remain data static to  make it into an image, see:

Tell a story with your data. Announcing the all-new Power BI integration for PowerPoint. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

DP86
Advocate II

Thank you for your response, @v-yingjl .

I apologize for perhaps not being clear on my issue.

• The exported Power BI object WAS set to be static in the desktop app ("Show as Saved Image" enabled)
  • When the same file is opened in PowerPoint Online, the Power BI object is no longer static:
    • data is automatically refreshed upon opening the file
    • the visuals are interactive

Keeping the object static is preferred in some circumstances in which a ppt file is distributed among members without access to the connected Power BI report.

I would appreciate your feedback for this matter.