Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Export to ppt using filters: custom colors not applying correctly

Hi all,

On exporting to ppt with a filtered visual, the default colors are reapplied to the filtered data as follows:

This is how the report should appear with the custom colors and filters applied.

Capture1.PNG

This is how it appears after export. The custom colors that would normally be applied to the first two caegories have been applied to the filtered sets in the visual.

Capture2.PNG

This is not an issue with the .json file, as I have observed it with more than one set of custom colors.

Nor is it an issue with saving the report before export. That did not help.

Any insights that you can offer will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Weezie

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 158992764. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Weezie

Here is a workaround:

Customer can specify the color for each bar in the chart instead of using the ones assigned by the theme.

Select the chart -> Go to Format Tab -> Data Colors -> Specify a color for each data point instead of using the ones assigned by the theme.

Save > Upload to service and export to PPT and the colors are respected.

q1.png

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Weezie
Regular Visitor

Hi Qiuyun,

Thanks for that info. I was actually aware that I could do this, but was really hoping to avoid it, given that I know it is going to be both tedious and time consuming for my situation.

I look forward to a real solution to this problem.

Cheers

Weezie.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Weezie

I know your concern, the issue is still pending on product team. I just want to let you know there is a  workaround. Once I receive any information internally, will update here to you. 🙂

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Weezie

I got below information: 

"This is by design. Theme colors are given out in order to categories as they are seen, first-come first-served. If you filter, save, then re-open the report, colors may change since we assign colors anew. This is by design, as many customers save different filters for their business role, or see reports with RLS filters, and we want colors to be given out from the top of the palette. If what the report author saw was "saved" WRT colors, other roles may see colors with very low contrast at random. E.g. the Sales Team role may see only color 7, 9, 25, and 31 for a certain visual, even though the power Admin saw all 35 categories. Those colors may not look good together."

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Weezie
Regular Visitor

Thanks Qiuyun for the information.

I suspect that your team may have misunderstood the issue. I find it hard to beleive that anyone would design a system that exports colors that are different from the saved version. This is the crux of my problem. 

In the meantime I have used the work-around that you suggested.

Regards

Weezie