Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Export to PDF Creates Incorrect Scroll Bar when Page is in Fit to Width View Mode

I have a report that is 8.5x11 size (regularly paper). If I have the view mode set to Fit To Width and export to PDF, the rendered PDF has a scroll bar rendered on the side. This is incorrect. I have to switch to Actual Size Page View then render the PDF.

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

I have made a test but can't reproduce your issue. After selecting "Set to width" and then click "export to pdf", there's no incorrect scroll bar on my side. This issue should be related to your report, if possible, could you share a sample file for further test?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey thank for looking at this @v-yuta-msft. In my testing, if a scroll bar exists and has to scroll more than half the page when exporting to PDF, it also appears in the PDF itself. If I set page size to 'Letter' and Page View to 'Fit to Width', this occurs on my screen and maybe many screen sizes. I have an extra-wide monitor and just realized this does have an effect.

I can upload a file that shows this, but it is very simple to reproduce. It does not have to do with my report, I just have dummy data saying 'blah' in one table. After further testing I do realize it only occurs in this kind of specific case of a wide screen causing a scroll bar. I can't see how to upload a pbix file in this chat but I have attached a screenshot. As you can see in the image, the scroll bar in Power BI Desktop takes about 50% of the vertical width. If it must scroll down this much or more (causing the scroll bar itself to be smaller), the scroll bar will print on the PDF itself. 

Annotation 2019-07-24 090403.png

It can be reproduced probably by changing the window size to meet these conditions. As such, I can avoid this myself by containing the window to a portion of my screen. While I do contend this is still a bug, it is a simple work around now to avoid by changing screen size instead of Page View. I appreciate you looking into it

SoltV
Advocate I

I'm able to confirm this.

I have screen with 1920x1080 resolution. I created a new PowerBI report (no data needed), selected page size as Letter and Page View as "Fit to Width". This now shows a scrollbar on the right (which is okay):

pdf_err.png

Then I export this to pdf. The resulting file has a scrollbar in it:

pdf_err2.png

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

I'm afraid I still can't reproduce this same issue, the scroll bar will not appear on my side when I set "Fit to width". And after exported to PDF, the PDF file is also normal. If this issue persists, I would suggest you to create a support ticket here.

Capture.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

PAPutzback2
Helper II

This happened to me also. I had to make sure any table that i szied to fit everything in without showing a scroll bar had a little extra room at the bottom of the table past that sweet spot that causes the bar to show or not. It is like the print driver expects one size and if the Power BI report is off a bit, it adjusts the report behid the scene to fit before sending the report to the print engine. As long as you leave a few milmeters of space across the bottom of the page when you are developing and your lowest visual, and have a few millimeters of space on any visual with a slider, you should be ok.