Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Export to Excel - Measure Name Displayed instead of Friendly Name

When exporting from a Table in Power BI to Excel, the measure name is returned in the Excel table column header, instead of the friendly name of the column the end user sees in the Power BI report.   However, if you export to csv, the friendly name is returned.  Any way the friendly name could be returned when exporting to Excel? Seems like this might be an oversight, since the measure isn't actually exported to the Excel table, just the value...

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@KyleWilliamsBMI,

I test the scenario ad yours, when I export data from table to Excel and CSV, the measure(Total Unit) returns same name. Could you please post a screenshot about your Excel and csv files?
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

ldittmann970
Advocate III

Hi Lydia @v-yuezhe-msft,
I am working with Kyle to resolve this issue - we appreciate your help!

To expound on our environment, our reports are connected to a cube and we are exporting Summarized data:
1) Export to CSV:
Export to CSV.png
2) Export to Excel
Export to Excel.png

ldittmann970
Advocate III

@v-yuezhe-msft- I also just discovered that this error does not seem to occur on columns where "Min of [ColumnName]" or "Max of [ColumnName]" is designated when the column is added to the Table Values field, but rather with explicit measures defined in the cube. Hope this helps!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@ldittmann970,

Do you connect to SSAS cube in Power BI Desktop using import mode? If so, I test the scenario as yours, and I create a measure in my PBIX file, after publishing it to Service and export the data from table visual to Excel, I am unable to reproduce the issue. The measure name exported to Excel is same as that I create in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

ldittmann970
Advocate III

Hi Lydia @Vicky_Song @v-yuezhe-msft
   Yes, we do connect t oan SSAS Cube in Power BI Desktop, but in Live mode.  Additionally, we do not create our measures in the .pbix file - instead we create  them in the SSAS cube.  We only rename the SSAS measures in the Values field in the PowerBI desktop interface.  The name is only reverted back to the measure name when Exporting to Excel, not when exporting to .csv.  Additionally, other column names which are renamed in the Values field in the PowerBI desktop do not revert back to their SSAS cube name when exporting to Excel, only measure names revert back.  Thank you for your continued efforts!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@ldittmann970,

I test the scenario as  yours, but I am unable to reproduce this issue. Do you use Power BI Desktop June release? What is the original name and change name of your measure?

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also experiencing this issue but I'm not connecting to an SSAS data source.  However, I'm creating DAX measures in the model, which are intermittently appearing in the column headers (instead of the renamed columns in the grid) when exporting to Excel vs CSV.  This is not consistent across all of the DAX measures.  Morevoer,  I'm seeing the same issue with some of the columns, e.g  Sum of ....  if I'm summing a column that isn't even a DAX measure.

dianaschnuth
Advocate I

I am experiencing this issue as well, in Power BI Report Server September 2019 and January 2020. For my model (Import Mode), the issue only surfaces for measures used as tooltips, rather than those displayed in the actual visuals.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also having this issue. We just upgraded to Desktop 2.70. The renamed column appears on the Excel export but not the CSV file. We connect to a tabular model on the Analysis server. The column source is a created DAX column within the model.