Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Export > Analyze in Excel greyed out

Hello - I hope this is posted in the best location.

I have users stating they used to be able to navigate in the web to Power BI reports and then select Export > Analyze in Excel.

Now the Analyze in Excel option is greyed out.

Troubleshooting seems to indicate the Analyze in Excel option is restricted to Admins of the workspace.  I have verified that my tenant settings for Export to Excel are turned on for the entire organization. As are Download Reports and several other download options; there is not a specific option to allow Analyze in Excel (that I can find). 

I cannot find an article outlining the restriction of Export > Analyze in Excel to be for Admins only.

I do find a couple articles that get close:

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6487/power-bi-workspace-permissions-and-roles/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-...

Can anyone provide clarity or an article that outlines requirements/access levels for Analyze in Excel or any article explaining why this option is greyed out for workspace viewers?  

thanks in advance...

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

First, the "Analyze in Excel" feature require both options(Export data and Analyze in Excel) to be enabled.

Please make sure below options are enabled in admin portal:

9.PNG10.PNG

Second, please check:

• Some organizations may have Group Policy rules that prevent installing the required Analyze in Excel updates to Excel. If you’re unable to install the updates, check with your administrator.
  • Analyze in Excel requires that the dataset be in Power BI Premium or that the user have a Power BI Pro license. To learn more about the differences in functionality between license types, take a look at the Power BI features comparison section of Power BI pricing.
  • Users can connect to datasets through Analyze in Excel if they have permission for the underlying dataset. A user could have this permission in a few ways, such as having the Member role in the workspace containing the dataset, or having Build permission for a dataset in a workspace or in an app that contains the dataset. Read more about Build permission for datasets.

Regards,

Lin

tswehla
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response -- and also, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Your information helped me to verify that users in our environment must be Contributors in order to "Export > Anayze in Excel"

thanks!

Ngotho
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I also have users experiencing the same problem, the major difference is that only users who are guest users in our tenant are experiencing the challenge. Users within the tenant set-up are not experiencing the challenge.

Is there a restriction on external users accessing this option? Is there a setting that can enable external users to get access.